Work Item Templates
Work item templates are available from the Quick Detail Page (QDP). They allow you to create templates for multiple fields, and can include child tasks.
Create a Template
Select a work item to base the template on. It should have the desired fields filled out correctly, and include any tasks that you want in the template.
- Open the work item in QDP (by clicking the FormattedID).
- In the QDP, select Templates.
- Select + New Template.
- Set up your template.
- Click the to remove any fields that you do not want to include in the template.
- Depending on your permissions, you can select who can see the template. Learn more.
- Give your template a name.
- Select Add.
Apply a Template
To apply a template:
- Open the work item on which you want to apply the template in QDP.
- Select Templates.
- Select the template to apply, then click Apply. The template is applied to your open QDP item.
- Select Save.
Modify a Template
There is no way to modify an existing template. You can create a new template from an existing template as follows:
- Create a new work item of the same type as the template you want to modify.
- Apply the template that you would like to modify to that blank work item.
- Make the necessary changes to the work item, then use the Template button to create a new template.
- Once the new template is created, you can delete the old template.
Defaults and Sharing
Any administrator can share templates and set them as defaults at the scope they are an administrator for and below. Each user, project, and workspace can have only one default at each level: each user can have a personal default, each project can have a project default, and each workspace can have a workspace default.
- Project and workspace defaults and sharing apply to the project or workspace that the work item is in.
- Defaults are applied as follows:
- If a user-specific default exists, apply it.
- If not, check for a project-specific default. If one exists, apply it.
- If not, check for a workspace-specific default. If one exists, apply it.
- Project administrators can share templates and set defaults for projects where they are administrators. They can also delete any templates for projects where they are administrators.
- Workspace administrators can share templates and set defaults for workspaces and child projects where they are administrators. They can also delete templates for workspaces where they are administrators and those child projects.
- Subscription administrators can share templates and set defaults for any workspace and project, as well as delete any project or workspace templates.
- There is no sharing of rich text templates in EDP with work item templates in QDP. Because rich text templates are not field specific, there is no way for this information to be shared with the work item template model.
- When creating templates for stories with associated tasks, only the name and estimate of the tasks will be included in the template. If the tasks have required fields, applying the story template will not create the tasks.