Manage Test Case Results
A test case result is a record of the outcome of a test case. Teams often execute a test case multiple times during the development cycle with the goal of getting the test case to a passing state. The Test Case Result Summary and Detail pages help you track and document the status of a test case throughout the development cycle.
Managing test case results includes the following:
- Follow Best Practices for Creating and Managing Test Case Results
- Create a Test Case Result from a Detail Page
- Edit or Delete a Test Case Result
- Use the Test Case Results Summary and Detail Pages
- Know the Test Case Result Fields
Follow Best Practices for Creating and Managing Test Case Results
Your team is better able to track the state of a test case if you always use the Test Case Result detail page, which is associated with a specific test case, to create new test case results. We, therefore, recommend that you follow the best practice of creating test case results only on the Test Case Result detail page that is associated with the specific test case on which you are working.
While it is possible to create a new test case result using the Test Case Result Summary page, we recommend that you use the summary page only for viewing, editing, and deleting existing test case results.
Create a Test Case Result from a Detail Page
- On the Test Case Results detail page, select the Results icon and then select + Result.
- On the Create Test Case Result editor, complete the fields as necessary.
- Select Create or Create + New.
Edit or Delete a Test Case Result
You can edit or delete a test case result from any of the following locations:
From the Test Cases Summary Page
From the Release Test Case Status Page
From the Test Case Detail Page
Edit a Test Case Result on Any Page
- On all pages except the Test Case Results page, select the Edit icon of the test case result that you want to edit. On the Test Case Results page, select the test case result that you want to edit by selecting the Build name.
- On the Edit Test Case Results editor, complete your edits.
- Select Save or select Save & Close.
Concurrency conflicts may occur if multiple users edit the same defect. The first user to make their changes and save will have their changes committed. When subsequent users make their changes to the same defect and then attempt to save those changes, they are presented with an option to Review my changes or Overwrite with my version.
If you select Review my changes, you are returned to the defect editor so the changes can be copied and not lost. If you select Overwrite with my version, your changes are saved and the other users' changes are overwritten. Overwrite with my version where attachments are added and edited will save both users' changes, as well as apply deletions.
Delete a Test Case Result on Any Page
- Select the Delete icon next to the test case result you want to delete.
- On the confirmation message, select OK.
Use the Test Case Results Summary and Detail Pages
Use the Test Case Result detail Page
From the Test Case Result detail page, you can:
- View all the results for a test case.
- Create a test case result.
- Edit a test case result.
- Add a defect to a test case.
Use the Test Case Results Summary Page
From the summary page, you can:
- Filter and view the test case results by ID number, Type, Priority, Owner, Method, or Last Verdict.
- Edit or delete a test case result.
- Create a new test case result.
Know the Test Case Result Fields
The following fields are available to help you describe or add detail to a test case result. You can set these field values when creating or editing a test case result.
Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*) on the full screen editor.
|Build||Enter the number of the build that was tested.|
|Verdict||Select the value that represents the result of your test execution: Pass, Fail, Inconclusive, Blocked, or Error.|
|Duration||Enter the amount of time in minutes that it took to execute the test case. This information is helpful in managing and planning your testing resources.|
|Test Set||If applicable, specify the test set the result is associated with. If you access the Test Case Result editor from a test set, this field defaults to that test set.|