Set Up Notifications
Notifications keep you informed of changes to work items that affect work in which you are actively engaged. Related work items are often changed and updated during the course of development, and it is important these changes are known to all involved team members. You can receive notifications from CA Agile Central's My Notifications page, through email, or in any configured RSS reader.
Notifications consist of the following:
- View the Notification Rules summary
- Notification triggers
- Email notifications
- Create a notification rule
- Delete a notification rule
- My notifications
- RSS notifications
- Notification fields
You can choose to receive notifications based on either or both of the following trigger options:
- Notification triggers which traverse associations or dependencies from impacted work items. These triggers are static and cannot be changed. However, each user can enable or disable these triggers for each individual work item type from the My Notification Rules summary page.
- Customized notification rules which notify you of changes to impacted work items which meet your specified criteria.
The My Notifications page—the default notification location—displays a listing of CA Agile Central work items and work items that have been changed. A change can be triggered by a user's edit to a work item or by a system event. In some cases, as the owner of the changed work item, you will see your work item displayed. In other cases, you will see work items that have changed that you do not own, but that impact a related work item that you do own.
When you are editing a work item, it is important to enter a detailed change description. This change description displays in both the Revision History and in My Notifications to help you understand and manage changes to work items.
View the Notification Rules summary
The Notification Rules summary page provides basic information regarding all custom notification rules that have been created.
The Notification Rules summary page allows you to:
- Select a work item type.
- Click the Work Item Type drop-down list and select a specific work item type. This displays all notification rules for the work item you created.
- Select the Notify me about changes to my work items (and items directly related to them) field to enable notification triggers.
- These triggers notify you of specific types of events that affect your work items. By default, this box is not selected.
- Select the New Notification Rule menu option from Actions to create a new rule for your selected work item type.
- Sort your notification rules view by Name or Active to sort your summary page in a meaningful display.
- Use the edit and delete row icons to manipulate individual notification rules.
Note the Valid column. If you have created a notification rule that references a value or custom field that has since been removed or updated, the rule will no longer execute and will register a False state in the Valid column. You will need to edit your rule and correct the invalid field before the rule can be performed.
Different types of notifications are displayed on the My Notifications page based on certain changes to work items. In all cases, notifications are sent to the owners of the work items that are affected by the change.
A notification trigger is a special type of notification rule that lets you know when there has been a change to:
- Any work items that you own. Any type of change that causes a revision will trigger a notification.
- Any work item that is associated with one that you own. Only changes to values for the associated work item that roll up to values for your work item will trigger a notification for your work item. Also, the addition or removal of associated work items will trigger a notification to your work item. Examples of associated work items include dependent tasks, associated defects, or defect suites.
Notification triggers are enabled when you select the Notify me about changes to my <work item> (and items directly related to them) checkbox at the top of the summary page for each type of work item that you choose. By default, notification triggers are disabled.
To determine who is notified by specific notification triggers, use the following table:
|When changes occur in a ...||Notify owners of ...|
Notification triggers are automatically administered by the system and do not require you to create notification rules for these events. You may enable notification triggers only for yourself.
Use email notifications to alert you to a change of any work item that impacts your work. You can easily subscribe or unsubscribe to this service by editing your user profile.
When a work item has been changed or impacted by other related work item changes that affect your work (as the owner), you will receive an email that contains:
- The changed work item ID and Name
- The author of the change to the work item
- The new revision number
- A description of the change
- The name of the notification rule that triggered the email
- The URL link to the work item that has changed
- Click this hyperlink to navigate directly to the changed work item. You are presented with the CA Agile Central login page if you are not currently logged in to CA Agile Central.
The title of your email notification specifies the nature of the changes, for example:[Name of work item]
Rank Changed - DE424: Fix the bug
Multiple Changes - DE424: Fix the bug
At the end of your email notification text, the name of the notification rule that prompted the email displays. For example:
This email message was generated from the notification rule: "(name of notification rule)"
If you have no active notification rules, but you have checked the notification trigger checkbox, you will see a message like this:
This email message was generated from the request for notification of any change to a
Create a notification rule
Create notification rules from the Notification Rules summary page.
To create a new notification rule:
All notification rules are for a single CA Agile Central user and cannot be shared globally. If your notification rule contains a field that is hidden, you will not receive notifications on that field. You may include references to inactive users in your conditions when you create notification rules.
If your rule has multiple conditions, all of those conditions must be met for a notification to be triggered.
Delete a notification rule
To delete a notification rule:
- Locate the notification rule to be deleted from the summary page list.
- Click the Delete icon at the end of the row. You will receive a message asking you to confirm your action.
- Click OK and the notification rule is removed from the summary display.
The My Notifications app displays all notifications set up in your notification rules.
For more information on the My Notifications app, click here.
RSS (Really Simple Syndication) is a lightweight XML format designed for sharing web content. Anything that can be broken down into clearly defined items can be shared through RSS, such as revisions or changes made to a CA Agile Central work item. Once information about each item is in RSS format, an RSS-aware program can check the feed for changes and react to the changes in an appropriate way.
To set up RSS for change notification in CA Agile Central:
- Install an RSS reader and paste the following news feed link into your RSS reader:
- Your client must support SSL and HTTP Basic Authentication.
- Your client should automatically prompt you to log in, at which point you should enter your CA Agile Central user name and password.
After you have completed the setup, you will receive CA Agile Central change notifications through your RSS reader.
Notification rule fields
You can create custom notification rules in CA Agile Central by defining criteria which alert you of a change only when criteria you have specified is changed for a work item type. You can use the following fields to build notification rules.
|Name||Enter the name of the notification rule. This is a required field. This value displays at the bottom of your email notification.|
|Active||Toggle your notification rule between active and inactive states. This value also displays on the Notification Filters summary page. Only active rules are processed for notifications. Inactive rules remain in your list and can be re-activated for execution at any time.|
|Condition||Set your rule parameters listed below. Multiple conditions within a rule act as AND operators, meaning that all conditions must be met for the notification to be triggered.|
To add a new condition expression:
- Click the Add Condition button.
- Complete the following fields:
- Field: From the drop-down list, select a field value that you want to filter. This list reflects the values of the work item type for which you are creating a notification rule. Any custom fields that have been defined for this work item type are also included in the list.
- Operators: Apply your rules to the data and return only those records that match your criteria. The operator types available depend on the type you selected in the field. The following operators are available:
|!=||Not equal to|
|>=||Greater than or equal to|
|<=||Less than or equal to|
|contains||Valid for string fields; contains the specified characters entered in the Value box|
|!contains||Valid for string fields; does not contain the specified characters entered in the Value box|
|changed||Any change to the field|
|changed-from||Any valued changed from the next selected value (using this field prompts a second field to appear and allows you to make your selection)|
|changed-to||Any valued changed to the next selected value (using this field prompts a second field to appear and allows you to make your selection)|
- Value: Specify a value for the operator to act upon. The values listed are based on the Field you selected.
|Type of column selected||Resulting value display|
|Numeric||Text box that only allows numeric characters to be entered|
|String Fields||Text box|
|Enumeration Fields||A drop-down listing with the valid values|
|Boolean Fields||Radio buttons for true and false with true defaulted|
|Date Fields||Click the icon and select a date from the displayed calendar|
Your notification rule is displayed on the summary page.
Supported work item fields
See the table below for a list of all work item fields that may be used in notification rules.
|Field||Work items||Operators supported||Notes|
||contains||The date the work item is changed to the Accepted schedule state.|
|Attachments||all||changed||Use to be alerted when an attachment is added, removed, or updated on a work item.|
|Blocked||Detect when a work item is blocked or unblocked. You can also use this field to filter notifications on only blocked or unblocked items.|
||Select a username from the drop-down. Notifications are issued when a work item is edited, created, or deleted by a specific user.|
|Children||user stories||changed||Detect when a child user story is added or removed.|
|Closed Date||defects||The most recent date a defect's State field is set to Closed. Not related to the Schedule State field.|
|Creation Date||all||all||The date the work item was first created. Read-only field.|
||all||The open or closed status of one or more defects associated to the work item. Choose from all associated defects closed, some closed, or none closed.|
||changed||Notifications are issued when a defect is added to or removed from a work item.|
|Direct Children Count||user stories||
||The number of child user stories associated to a user story.|
|Display Color||all||all||The color selected for a work item when displayed on a board app, such as Iteration Tracking or Kanban Board.|
|Drag And Drop Rank||all||all||An internal numerical value used for drag-and-drop ranked workspaces. As the value is internal, we recommend using only the changed operator for notifications.|
|Duplicates||defects||changed||Notifications are issued when a duplicate is added or removed from a defect.|
|Fixed In Build||defects|
||The alphanumeric value that identifies a work item. For example, US123 on a user story. When entering the Formatted ID, use only the numbers for the work item (such as 123) and don't include the work item prefix (such as US or DE). The ID entered must be a number with a maximum of 10 digits.|
||Whether the user story is a child of another user story. Select true or false for the value.|
|In Progress Date||
||The date a work item is changed to the In-Progress schedule state.|
|Last Build||test cases||all|
|Last Run||test cases|
|Last Update Date||all||The date the work item was last edited. Use the change operator to set up notifications that track any time a type of work item is updated.|
|Last Verdict||test cases|
|Latest Discussion Age In Minutes||all||
||The number of minutes since a discussion post was added to a work item.|
|Object ID||all||The unique identifier of a work item in the database.
To find the Object ID (OID), navigate to the detail page of a work item. The OID will be at the end of the URL. For example:
|Owner||all||Choose a username from the drop-down.|
|Post Conditions||test cases|
|Pre Conditions||test cases|
|Predecessors||user stories||changed||Notifications are issued when a user story is associated to a predecessor story or defect.|
||Use the changed operator to notify you when a work item is marked ready to move to the next stage of development.|
||Use the changed operator to notify you when a work item is deleted or restored in your workspace.|
||You can set up a variety of rules to notify you when work is moving to the next stage of development. For example, product owners may want to create a rule that uses the Completed state with the changed-to operator. Such a rule would notify you when work moves out of the In-Progress state and is ready for review.|
|The State field indicates the open/closed status of a defect, separate from the Schedule State field, which indicates development progress.|
|State||tasks||all||The state of a task, which rolls-up to the associated work item's Schedule State field.|
|Successors||user stories||changed||Notifications are issued when a user story is associated to a successor story or defect.|
|Tags||all||changed||Notifications are issued when a tag is associated to a work item.|
|Task Estimate Total||
||The total value of the Estimate field for all tasks associated to a work item.|
|Task Remaining Total||
||The total value of the To Do field for all tasks associated to a work item.|
||changed||Notifications are issued when a task is added to or removed from a work item.|
|Test Case Status||
||changed||Notifications are issued when a test case is added to or removed from a work item.|
|Validation Expected Result||test cases|
|Validation Input||test cases|
|Verified in Build||defects||all|