Rally Quality Manager Overview
Agile development has dramatically changed the way testers work, asking you to be part of a close-knit Agile team and test as requirements and code are changing constantly. Rally offers software test engineers the tracking tools you need to provide test results in-step with the software development lifecycle but also support the work you do in a variety of automated software testing tools.
Rally’s basic testing features allow you to:
- Create test cases directly from user stories and defects
- Evolve acceptance tests simultaneously with—or ahead of—the coding efforts
- View status dashboards that automatically group test case results by user stories to assess quality and readiness
- Provide access to failing test cases for improved communication, easier defect re-creation, and lower management burdens
The optional Rally Quality Manager module adds functionality including test sets, the Test Plan page and the Test Case Summary page. These additions enable you to:
- Manage regression tests that need to be run multiple times throughout the life of your system
- Create custom test plan lists based on criteria you specify
- Easily filter and sort tests outside of iterations and releases on the Test Case summary page
Quality management concepts
Related Rally pages
Test Plan page
This page provides testers with a single location to organize and manage test cases into folders. When planning your test effort use test plans to assemble test cases into a hierarchy of folders. Rank test cases in a test folder, run the tests in groups, log test results and defects, then see the summarized results.
Note that when a new test folder is created on the Test Plan page, the test folder is associated with the current scope. In the example above, a new test folder is associated with the Shopping Team. If you want to share test folders with other testers on other teams, associate your test folders at a higher node in the tree.
Iteration Test Case Status page
A test set is a container for test cases which can be run in an iteration or release. Create a test set from the Actions menu on any of these pages:
- Iteration or Release Task Status
- Iteration or Release Test Status
- Iteration or Release Defect Status
Consider the following:
- The Rally Quality Manager module is required for test sets, the Test Plan page, and the Test Case summary page.
- You can view reports and dashboards that display the status of your test coverage, including the number of test cases passing, failing, or pending.
- Use the Rally App SDK Toolkit to create custom Apps or reports that integrate Rally with data from third-party testing systems.