CA Agile Central On-Premises 2013.1 Release Notes
These release notes provide pertinent information regarding the additions for the CA Agile Central On-Premises Release 2013.1, hardware and software requirements, compatibility, defect fixes, and known issues for the CA Agile Central Enterprise and Unlimited Editions. All features, changes, and defect fixes were periodically released to CA Agile Central On-Demand from January 12, 2013 to March 24, 2013:
- Build Details for Release 2013.1
- Features in Release 2013.1
- Changes to the SOAP, REST, and JSON Web Services API
- Hardware and Software Requirements
- Defects Resolved in Release 2013.1
- Known Issues in Release 2013.1
Please refer to the CA Agile Central Installation Guide for CA Agile Central On-Premises Release 2013.1 for setup and configuration information.
Build details for 2013.1
- Build: master-10042
- Full Version ID for Provisioning: 2013.1 (2013.1-10042)
- Control Panel Version: 2013.1-1
- WSAPI: 1.43
Features in Release 2013.1
LDAP group configuration enhancement
Membership in a LDAP group is now optional. A Require membership in an LDAP group checkbox is selected by default. Unchecking the box confirms that users will be logged in via authentication only. If you disable the group membership option, the LDAP user syncing service will no longer be available. Users authenticating with CA Agile Central will no longer be required to have membership in a specific LDAP group.
Unlimited Edition features:
CA Agile Central Unlimited Edition includes everything in CA Agile Central Enterprise Edition, plus:
- Portfolio management (CA Agile Central Portfolio Manager)
- Authentication and security management (CA Agile Central Advanced Security and Administration)
- Idea management (CA Agile Central Idea Manager)
- Quality management (CA Agile Central Quality Manager)
- Time tracking (CA Agile Central Time Tracker)
- Enterprise integrations with HP Quality Center, IBM ClearQuest, Microsoft Team Foundation Server, and Salesforce.com (CA Agile Central Support Manager)
- Development sandbox for testing apps and integrations on a copy of your production data
CA Agile Central Portfolio Manager: visibility of lowest level portfolio item from user stories
CA Agile Central Portfolio Manager users now have a new field that will map to your lowest level Portfolio Item parent. The name of this field is the same as your lowest level Portfolio Item. The only exception to this name is that the field is called Feature on the User Stories page and detail/editor page. This field is available on every single user story at every level for improved visibility into the features that roll up. With the addition of this new field, you can run a custom query that shows all leaf stories attached to a feature. For example, the following query was used to show stories attached to Feature F8:
((Feature.FormattedID = F8) AND (DirectChildrenCount = 0))
All stories that are parented to the same feature can be updated all at once by using the bulk edit function. Click the checkbox at the top of the grid to select all stories, then click the gear menu on any story to access the bulk edit function:
CA Agile Central Portfolio Manager: Release attribute on lowest level of portfolio item
CA Agile Central Portfolio Manager users can now use the Release field for lowest level portfolio items. The Release dropdown contains all releases in scope based on the project. The new field is available on custom grids, the Kanban Board, and the user stories page.
The following custom queries can be used for this field:
- View unscheduled features
- (Release = null)
- Features in current release
- ((Release.ReleaseStartDate <= today) AND (Release.ReleaseDate >= today))
- Leaf user stories attached to features in current release
- (((Feature.Release.ReleaseStartDate <= today) AND (Feature.Release.ReleaseDate >= today)) AND (DirectChildrenCount = 0))
- Scheduled for a release
- (Release.Name = "PSI 2013.Q1")
Enterprise Edition features:
Iteration Planning Board
With the new Iteration Planning Board app, your team can view user stories and defects that are ready to be scheduled and view any work items scheduled in the next three iterations.
The app provides multiple features that allow you to:
- Add work items from the backlog
- Drag cards into the correct iteration
- View up to three upcoming iterations in addition to the backlog column
- Scroll to view previous and future iterations
- View the velocity for each iteration at the top of each column
- Search the backlog column for work items
- Hover over the ID field to view the description of the card
- Drag a card vertically to change its rank
- Add new work items
- Create, update and delete tasks
- View and update discussions
- View and update associated defects
Click here to learn more about the app's features.
Kanban Board enhancements
The Kanban Board has been enhanced with a more intuitive card and settings design. New enhancements includes the following:
- Select a custom color for a card
- Display any field on work item cards
- Hover on a card to view editing and customization options
- Click Add New on the top left of the board to add a new story or defect
- Set up columns, work in progress limits, display options, and custom queries in Kanban settings
- Delete the app or view the the app full screen from the gear menu
You can access the actions menu, gear menu, ready indicator, blocked indicator, and the card color picker by hovering on the card.
Ability to categorize cards by color
You can now add a custom color to a card on the following board-style apps:
To add a color to a card, hover over the card and select the color picker icon.
New card design on some board apps
The look and feel of some board apps have been enhanced with a new slim card design that increases the amount of information that can be shown on a card/board by 50%. The new design is currently available on the following apps:
The slim card design will be added to more apps in the near future.
New administrative user fields
Six new fields have been added to user profiles to help large organizations and distributed teams identify and collaborate with each other. Administrators may edit these fields when creating or modifying users:
- Network ID
- Cost Center
- Office Location
You may customize the values within the four drop-down fields: Cost Center, Role, Office Location, and Department.
Create custom user fields
You may also control the visibility of custom user fields. You can choose to provide a field to all users, or set it to be accessible only by subscription and workspace administrators.
For administrators: View and sort last login dates
Subscription and workspace administrators now have the ability to view and sort the last login date for users. Previously, administrators had to contact support for a usage report. Now, administrators can view last login dates to effectively manage licenses. Login dates are available from June 1, 2010 forward. Users that have never logged in will have an empty grid value.
Select Last Login Date on the Users drop-down column picker to view login dates:
Delete discussion posts
You now have the ability to delete discussion posts that you have created. Administrators have the ability to delete others comments. To delete a discussion post, click the trash can icon on the post:IMPORTANT: Once you delete a discussion post, you will not be able to undo the deletion. A warning message popup will remind you of this functionality:
Manage associated defects and tasks inline
The task and defect detail display pop-out functionality found on the Iteration Tracking Board and Iteration Planning Board apps is now available for the Backlog page and grid-style apps. With this feature, you can create, edit, and manage defects and tasks associated to work items without leaving the page.
To see the status icons and use the detail displays, add the Task Status or Defect Status columns to your view.
View app pages full screen
You may view all apps on your dashboard or custom page without the CA Agile Central menus and navigation. Simply click the Customize Page drop-down and select View Full Screen. You can exit this mode by pressing the back button on your browser.
App Catalog search
You can now search for apps in the App Catalog.
Changes to the SOAP, REST, & JSON Web Services API
Web Services API deprecation policy
In order to support developer toolkits, custom apps, and queries more effectively, we are introducing a formal deprecation policy to the Web Services API. With the new policy, we will make commercially reasonable efforts to support older versions of the WSAPI for one year after a new version is released.
Versions 1.0 through 1.36 of the WSAPI entered a one year deprecation period on October 1st, 2012. These versions will no longer be supported after October 1st, 2013.
The current version of the WSAPI, 1.43, is fully supported. Its one year deprecation period will begin on the date that version 1.44 is released. You may review the full deprecation policy in the CA Agile Central Web Services API documentation.
Click the Web Services API link from the main Help page to view your Web Services documentation.
Click the API Versioning link under Topics in the left navigation of the Web Services API documentation for details about version changes.
App SDK 2.0 version 5 preview
An updated preview of the new App SDK environment is included with the 2013.1 release. We have added more functions, buttons, kits, and examples to help you get started building your own custom apps.
You can view the preview documentation here.
Hardware and software requirements
The On-Premises image requires 150GB of storage for virtual disk space. Please ensure this is available prior to installation.
- Minimum 1024 X 768 X 256-color video resolution, 1280 x 1024 recommended
VMware® vSphere server (recommended) or VMware® ESX server
CA Agile Central VMware Appliance Configuration:
- Minimum 6GB of allocated memory. CA Agile Central Software recommends 8 to 12 GB of RAM for improved performance for subscriptions that may serve a higher volume of requests.
- 2 CPUs
- 150 GB Disk
Supported web browsers
We at CA Agile Central are committed to making our software easily accessible. You can access CA Agile Central wherever you have a connection to your On-Premises server via a PC, Linux, or Macintosh computer.
Nevertheless, it is not possible or practical for us to support every operating system and browser combination that is available. To take advantage of the newest CA Agile Central features, we recommend that you use one of the following fully supported browsers:
- Internet Explorer*
We support the two latest versions of each of these browsers. We do not recommend using development, test, or beta versions of these web browsers. Versions that are not publicly released may not work properly with the CA Agile Central application. In particular, we strongly suggest using Chrome.
* Internet Explorer We support Internet Explorer 9 and Internet Explorer 8, and provide limited support for Internet Explorer 7.
- Minimum Adobe Reader 5.0 Microsoft Windows platforms (not Linux)
- Adobe Reader 7.0 recommended
Defects resolved in Release 2013.1
- DE8892 - Text between <<< and >>> marks in test case steps is ignored
- DE11326 - Parent and PI fields on a user story should not be required
- DE13599 - Value of custom date field populated by Web Services API incorrectly changed when editing an artifact
- DE14803 - Changing project scoping settings on My Defects app changes query object to user story
- DE14872 - Email address validation not allowing .local emails
- DE15187 - Tabs disappear when using CA Agile Central in Chrome
- DE15246 - Unable to add a value for the DirectChildrenCount condition in a custom view
- DE15411 - Error when user tries to permanently delete item from recycle bin
- DE15566 - Some users unable to expand views or perform in-line edits when using Internet Explorer
- DE15701 - Error when trying to create custom field
- DE15715 - Notifications email doesn't include the name of the user who made the modification
- DE15762 - Custom timesheet reports not returning data or presenting an error
- DE15801 - Clicking on links on dashboard not working in Firefox 18
- DE15902 - Some users seeing an error screen in custom apps
- DE15984 - Error accessing Reports tab
- DE15948 - Formatted IDs not working when creating custom apps
- DE15985 - Firefox 18.0.1 causing Portfolio Item Timeline to not completely render
- DE16108 - HTML not showing correctly in description and notes export
- DE16126 - Internet Explorer 8 stack overflow error when moving tasks in story splitting editor
- DE16204 - Issue with customers unable to add new or edit existing users
- DE16206 - Error when copying test cases
- DE16236 - Sorting custom grid by Release does not properly group items by release
- DE16241 - Ranking appearing as floating point value on drag-and-drop workspaces
- DE16242 - Adding test cases to test sets results in error
- DE16309 - WSAPI docs show wrong Parent for every non-abstract object
- DE16315 - Custom grid error message remains after fixing error
- DE16359 - Calendar Selector not presenting properly on timesheet when using Chrome
- DE16398 - Error when updating a Test Case result via Web Services API
- DE16412 - Some customers experiencing epic progress not reporting on current release
- DE16437 - Error when editing a test case result from the Iteration Test Case status page
- DE16446 - User interface issues with all versions of Internet Explorer
- DE16452 - Poor performance for customers with large data sets using Internet Explorer
- DE16475 - Some customers unable to copy users from one project to another
- DE16513 - WSAPI Queries on CustomOID return a value of Null
- DE16548 - Error when adding a new user
- DE16559 - Some customers experiencing a performance issue when creating or editing custom views
- DE16652 - Some SSO users unable to login
- DE16704 - "Welcome to CA Agile Central" keeps reappearing after clicking the "Don't show this guide again" checkbox
- DE16709 - Unable to print reports from reports page
- DE16787 - Unable to access Portfolio Item Timeline page or app using Internet Explorer 8
- DE16808 - HTML tags incorrectly exported in Name and Rich Text fields
- DE16851 - Users grid throwing 405 error
- DE16911 - Name not retained when scrolling to and from different iterations
- DE17029 - Release filtered page does not filter PI Features by release
Known issues in Release 2013.1
Known issues affecting the Task Board app
- When the user clicks on the pencil icon on a Task Card, the existing owner is removed and the owner defaults back to "No Owner". For example, if you change the Todo hours and Save, "No Owner" is assigned.
- When the user selects a task from the Task Board and clicks on the pencil icon to update the owner to an associate other than the first associate, and clicks Save, the owner is set to No Owner.
- When the user clicks on the pencil icon on a Task Card, nothing happens. Therefore, the card cannot be edited from the app.
Not all work items may be recovered from the Recycle Bin
Only user stories, portfolio items, defects, test cases, and tasks are recoverable from the Recycle Bin.
Dragging test sets into the backlog on the Plan page
Dragging a test set from an iteration into the backlog on the Plan page will appear to make the test set disappear. The test set is still in CA Agile Central, but it has become unscheduled. To view the test set, go to the Iteration Status page and choose an iteration drop-down value of Unscheduled.
Popup blockers and CA Agile Central
Be aware that some of CA Agile Central’s content is displayed using popup windows. Popup blockers may inhibit this functionality. To correct this, configure your popup blockers to allow CA Agile Central popups.
User story list view displays incorrect summaries when parent stories are shown
Users who have both parent and child stories visible in the List (flat) view on the User Stories page will see summaries at the top of the list that combine parent and child estimates. We are considering fixing this by only showing child stories in this view, and would appreciate your feedback.
Iteration Defect Status printed report shows incorrect totals
The default settings for “Print Report” on Iteration Defect Status work correctly. However, if you deselect “show nested items” the report will indicate that all stories have “no defects”, even if some do. To work around this, make sure you keep “show nested items” checked when printing this report.
Custom Timesheet Reports will display "No Entry" where a custom field should be if CA Agile Central artifact is deleted
If you run a Custom Timesheet Report that includes deleted data, the output will include "No Entry" instead of a custom field name for any deleted work items.
Pasting formatted text from MS Word may result in error
Copy-pasting rich-format text into a work item editor from Microsoft Word may result in formatting or system errors. To work around this issue, compose directly in the CA Agile Central work item editors, or convert your entry to plain text before pasting.
Salesforce.com Integration: Create defect function does not instantly respond
The create defect function found in Salesforce does not immediately provide feedback from the associated CA Agile Central subscription. This may result in the inadvertent creation of multiple defects. Click the button only once to avoid this issue.