Rally On-Premises 2012.3 Release Notes
These release notes provide pertinent information regarding the additions for the Rally On-Premises Release 2012.3, hardware and software requirements, compatibility, defect fixes, and known issues for the Rally Enterprise and Unlimited Editions. All features, changes, and defect fixes were periodically released to Rally On-Demand from May 20th, 2012 to September 14th, 2012:
- Build details for Release 2012.3
- Features in Release 2012.3
- Changes to the SOAP, REST, and JSON Web Services API
- Hardware and software requirements
- Defects resolved in Release 2012.3
- Known issues in Release 2012.3
Build details for 2012.3
- Build: master-7227
- Full Version ID for Provisioning: 2012.3 (2012.3-7227)
- Control Panel Version: 2012.3-0dd9933
- WSAPI: 1.37
Features in Release 2012.3
Support for Oracle Internet Directory 10g and 11g, and Oracle Directory Services 11g
Oracle ID versions 10g and 11g, and Oracle DS 11g may be used with LDAP user management. This provides additional database options to users who want to take advantage of automated user management in Rally On-Premises.
Unlimited Edition features:
Rally Unlimited Edition includes everything in Rally Enterprise Edition, plus:
- Portfolio management (Rally Portfolio Manager)
- Authentication and security management (Rally Advanced Security and Administration)
- Idea management (Rally Idea Manager)
- Quality management (Rally Quality Manager)
- Time tracking (Rally Time Tracker)
- Enterprise integrations with HP Quality Center, IBM ClearQuest, Microsoft Team Foundation Server, and Salesforce.com (Rally Support Manager)
- Development sandbox for testing apps and integrations on a copy of your production data
Program mode deprecation notice
Program mode is being phased out of Rally. If you have never used program mode, or if you have not accessed a program in the last 3 months, the Program link will no longer be visible.
If you currently use program mode, click here to read information about the deprecation, and best practices for transitioning to newer functionality. You will still be able to access the Program link, but it will be removed in the next release of 2012.4
Rally Portfolio Manager: Type-specific portfolio item prefixes
You can customize the FormattedID prefix for each type of portfolio item in your workspace. For example, portfolio items of the type Feature will begin with F1, F2, as opposed to the previous prefix for all portfolio items of PI1, PI2, etc. Your existing portfolio items will reflect this change in ID based on the first letter of the type name.
Rally Portfolio Manager: Direct API access to each portfolio item
The Rally Web Services API has been updated to provide direct access to a portfolio item, regardless of type. This change provides you with an easier method to query different types of portfolio items, and is the first step necessary to providing other features, such as hierarchy management apps.
To take advantage of new syntax to query portfolio items, please ensure you use version 1.37 of the Rally WSAPI, and review this document to ensure you use the correct queries.
Rally Portfolio Manager: Portfolio Kanban Board enhancements
The Portfolio Kanban Board app has been updated with several new features.
Additional portfolio item fields may be viewed for each item on the board. You may control what fields are displayed through the settings menu of the app.
A persistent Type setting may be configured in the settings menu. You no longer have to change the type of portfolio items displayed when accessing the app for the first time. This gives organizers an option to send links to type-specific boards on custom pages.
A workspace and project selector is also available in the app settings menu. You can tie a specific copy of the app to a single project, even if your global project picker is set to another location.
You may create and display explicit policies on the board to specify what criteria must be met before a portfolio item is moved into the next state column. Also known as Exit Policies, these notes are useful for administrators who want to document the requirements for a portfolio item to move into the next stage of development.
Rally Portfolio Manager: Portfolio Timeline enhancements
The Portfolio Timeline page and app have been updated with several enhancements, to enable better visibility of the status of planned and in-progress portfolio items. Features include:
- Colored bar indicators reflecting status of current portfolio items
- A legend explaining the meaning of colored bars in the timeline
- The percent done by story count figure is displayed to the left of each bar
- Hover over a timeline bar to view improved detail data, including FormattedID, Name, Status, % Done by Story Plan Estimate, and % Done by Story Count fields
- Timeline scope goes back one year into the past
- Navigate to the detail page of a portfolio item by clicking the FormattedID field link to the left of each row
Enterprise Edition features:
Copy tasks from another work item
If your organization creates user stories, defects, or other work items that host a template set of tasks, you can now easily copy all of those tasks to the work item currently being planned. This speeds up the process of creating tasks and associating them to a new work item.
The copy tasks from feature is accessed when viewing the work item that is being planned and tasked out. You may use the copy tasks from icon on the Iteration Status and Release Status pages, or you may access the command when viewing the detail page of a work item.
App view enhancements
Two new features have been added to many of the apps available in Rally:
The View Full Screen option opens the app in a new browser tab or window, without the Rally header and menus. This is useful for viewing larger apps, such as the Kanban Board or Task Board. It is also useful when viewing an app with limited screen space, such as on a projector.
The Auto Height setting automatically adjusts the vertical size of an app, when it is the only app present in a column of a dashboard or custom page. This ensures all available data in larger apps is visible, and sets the correct view without manual adjustment.
To see if these features are available for a specific app, review the table for our App Catalog.
Increased horizontal space on custom pages
Apps installed on a custom page have been aligned with the far left and right boundaries, providing more horizontal space to view data. This especially improves the display of custom pages with a single column layout.
View Custom HTML app source code
Need to quickly copy or edit a custom app built by yourself or a colleague? We've made it easier to obtain the source code from the Custom HTML app. Click the gear menu icon at top of the app title bar, and select the View Source option.
A window will display. Click the Select All icon to highlight the app code, then copy-paste into a new Custom HTML app or editor to make your changes.
Changes to the SOAP, REST, & JSON Web Services API
Web Services API
The Web Services API has been revised to version number 1.37. Click the Web Services API link from the main Help page to view your Web Services documentation.
Click the API Versioning link under Topics in the left navigation of the Web Services API documentation for details about version changes.
App SDK 2.0 version 3 preview
An updated preview of the new App SDK environment is included with the 2012.3 release. We have added more functions, buttons, kits, and examples to help you get started building your own custom apps.
You can view the preview documentation when logged into your subscription by accessing the following URL:
Hardware and software requirements
The On-Premises image requires 70GB of storage for virtual disk space. Please ensure this is available prior to installation.
- Minimum 1024 X 768 X 256-color video resolution, 1280 x 1024 recommended
Supported web browsers
We at Rally are committed to making our software easily accessible. You can access Rally wherever you have a connection to your On-Premises server via a PC, Linux, or Macintosh computer.
Nevertheless, it is not possible or practical for us to support every operating system and browser combination that is available. To take advantage of the newest Rally features, we recommend that you use one of the following fully supported browsers:
- Internet Explorer*
We support the two latest versions of each of these browsers. We do not recommend using development, test, or beta versions of these web browsers. Versions that are not publicly released may not work properly with the Rally application. In particular we strongly suggest using Chrome.
* Internet Explorer We support Internet Explorer 9 and Internet Explorer 8, and provide limited support for Internet Explorer 7.
- Minimum Adobe Reader 5.0 Microsoft Windows platforms (not Linux)
- Adobe Reader 7.0 recommended
Defects resolved in Release 2012.3
- DE10341 - Shared custom views do not retain conditional criteria
- DE11667 - Task Board app does not work correctly after a view is selected
- DE11782 - Revision history reporting invalid changes to the Description field
- DE12288 - Refresh query command in Excel Plugin returns incomplete results
- DE12328 - Incorrect error message displays on some Kanban Board apps when attempting re-rank
- DE12618 - Unable to attach files to test case results using Web Services API
- DE12885 - Users can only add a defect with association to a work item once from detail page
- DE12932 - 404 error screen displays when searching for a test set by FormattedID
- DE13137 - Iteration Summary app fails to collect data when installed on iteration-scoped custom page
- DE13177 - Bulk edit of project field does not work on Backlog, Portfolio Item, and detail pages
- DE13325 - Release Task Status page is not printing work item details
- DE13463 - Some users are receiving invalid password expiration notices when SSO is enabled
- DE13485 - Slice expressions do not work with GET and WSAPI
- DE13513 - Kanban Board app displays items from child projects despite scoping settings
- DE13636 - In-Progress date value is being set incorrectly after a user story is accepted
- DE13743 - On some pages Owner field drop-down menu showing all users in subscription instead of workspace
- DE13752 - Cannot create or delete notification rules for custom fields with apostrophe characters
- DE13887 - Cannot change views or move between tabs when using Internet Explorer 9
- DE13896 - Inline icons on Iteration Task Status page are obscured when user story name contains HTML
- DE13937 - Invalid queries in Custom Grid app cause gear icon to disappear
- DE13943 - Kanban settings menu displays too low on boards with many cards
- DE14022 - Inline icons are obscured on scheduled items sections of pages when user story name contains HTML
- DE14027 - Users cannot edit shared pages
- DE14054 - Old DB search broken for On-Premises users
- DE14057 - Session timeout warning displays after logging in from previous timeout
- DE14085 - Timezone is not displayed in password reset and lockout emails
- DE14090 - WSAPI continues to report a task after it is deleted
- DE14091 - Custom Grid app missing delete icon when adding to a custom page or dashboard
- DE14131 - Split story window does not display iterations
- DE14137 - Browsing the App Catalog with Internet Explorer 8 displays an insecure content warning
- DE14205 - Some users see an error when trying to move a user story to another project
- DE14252 - Workspace administrators are able to create shared pages in workspaces they do not administer
- DE14254 - Cannot delete attachment with Web Services API
- DE14324 - Portfolio Kanban Board app is not expanding vertically
- DE14493 - Bulk parenting to a portfolio item in a different project fails
- DE14511 - Print preview for portfolio items displays no data
Known issues in Release 2012.3
Not all work items may be recovered from the Recycle Bin
Only user stories, portfolio items, defects, test cases, and tasks are recoverable from the Recycle Bin.
Dragging test sets into the backlog on the Plan page
Dragging a test set from an iteration into the backlog on the Plan page will appear to make the test set disappear. The test set is still in Rally, but it has become unscheduled. To view the test set, go to the Iteration Status page and choose an iteration drop-down value of Unscheduled.
Popup blockers and Rally
Be aware that some of Rally’s content is displayed using popup windows. Popup blockers may inhibit this functionality. To correct this, configure your popup blockers to allow Rally popups.
User story list view displays incorrect summaries when parent stories are shown
Users who have both parent and child stories visible in the List (flat) view on the User Stories page will see summaries at the top of the list that combine parent and child estimates. We are considering fixing this by only showing child stories in this view, and would appreciate your feedback.
Iteration Defect Status printed report shows incorrect totals
The default settings for “Print Report” on Iteration Defect Status work correctly. However, if you deselect “show nested items” the report will indicate that all stories have “no defects”, even if some do. To work around this, make sure you keep “show nested items” checked when printing this report.
Custom Timesheet Reports will display "No Entry" where a custom field should be if Rally artifact is deleted
If you run a Custom Timesheet Report that includes deleted data, the output will include "No Entry" instead of a custom field name for any deleted work items.
Pasting formatted text from MS Word may result in error
Copy-pasting rich-format text into a work item editor from Microsoft Word may result in formatting or system errors. To work around this issue, compose directly in the Rally work item editors, or convert your entry to plain text before pasting.
Timesheet page appears to hang
Some users may experience an unresponsive Timesheet page when attempting to change weeks. This behavior occurs when there are no tasks displayed on the current page.
Salesforce.com Integration: Create defect function does not instantly respond
The create defect function found in Salesforce does not immediately provide feedback from the associated Rally subscription. This may result in the inadvertent creation of multiple defects. Click the button only once to avoid this issue.
Some queries do not work with does not contain (!contains) operator
Queries using the !contains operator may not return results, if the field being queried is a custom string or custom text field.
LDAP timeout recovery populates wrong username
After a timeout due to no activity, the recovery prompt will populate the Rally username instead of the LDAP username. Instruct users who experience a session timeout to enter the correct LDAP username to log back into the subscription.