Rally On-Premises 2012.1 Release Notes
These release notes provide pertinent information regarding the additions for the Rally On-Premises Release 2012.1, hardware and software requirements, compatibility, defect fixes, and known issues for the Rally Enterprise and Unlimited Editions. All features, changes, and defect fixes were periodically released to Rally On-Demand from January 21st, 2012 to February 25th, 2012:
- Build details for Release 2012.1
- Features in Release 2012.1
- Changes to the SOAP, REST, and JSON Web Services API
- Hardware and software requirements
- Defects resolved in Release 2012.1
- Known issues in Release 2012.1
Build details for 2012.1
- Build: 2012.02.25-15
- Full Version ID for Provisioning: 2012.1 (2012.02.25-15)
- Control panel version: 2012.1-667
- WSAPI: 1.30
Features in Release 2012.1
New search service
The SOLR search service is a faster, feature-rich engine available for your On-Premises installation. Enhancements include:
- Custom field and Tag data included in search results
- Matching text highlighted to provide better context
- Boolean operators (AND, OR, !) are supported
SOLR search is disabled by default in the 2012.1 release. You may enable the service from the On-Premises Control Panel. See the On-Premises Administrator’s Guide for details.
Oracle DS 11g
The On-Premises database has been upgraded to Oracle DS 11g, to stay current with publicly available versions. Nominal performance improvements may be noted, but depend on your specific data and usage patterns.
New browser support policy
Rally’s supported browser policy has been updated to keep pace with increasingly frequent releases by Mozilla, Google, and others. Please see the hardware and software requirements section of this page for a copy of the new policy.
Unlimited Edition features:
Rally Unlimited Edition includes everything in Rally Enterprise Edition, plus:
- Portfolio management (Rally Portfolio Manager)
- Authentication and security management (Rally Advanced Security and Administration)
- Idea management (Rally Idea Manager)
- Quality management (Rally Quality Manager)
- Time tracking (Rally Time Tracker)
- Enterprise integrations with HP Quality Center, IBM ClearQuest, Microsoft Team Foundation Server, and Salesforce.com (Rally Support Manager)
- Development sandbox for testing apps and integrations on a copy of your production data
Rally Portfolio Manager: Bulk child item chooser
Multiple lower-level portfolio items or child user stories may be assigned to a portfolio item in a single action with the bulk child item chooser. The chooser will notify you if items cannot be assigned due to insufficient permissions, and displays progress as multiple work items are assigned. This function is available in the Page Tools menu after selecting the Children or User Stories link from the sidebar of a portfolio item detail page.
Enterprise Edition features:
Multiple browser tab and direct linking support
Multiple Rally sessions may be opened in separate browser tabs, each with independent project and view scoping. In addition to multiple tab support, this feature includes several other enhancements:
- Copy the URL of any page in Rally to share with other users
- URLs are specific to any views being used on the page, including custom views
- Meaningful page titles appear at the top of browser tabs and windows
- Browser histories show meaningful page titles, which include project names, page names, and work item IDs
Shared custom dashboards
Subscription and workspace administrators may share custom dashboard pages with other users in the workspace. This allows teams to customize a dashboard and the panels within to their specifications, and then distribute the page to members' Rally menus.
Users may also make copies of shared dashboards for personal use and modification. If your team has a shared dashboard, but you would like to customize the contents further for your daily work, simply make a copy.
Custom dashboards filtered by an iteration or release
You may create a custom dashboard that has panels set to display data from a specific iteration or release. When enabled, this option will display an iteration or release selector at the top of the dashboard.
Backlog usability enhancements
Two changes were made to behavior on the Backlog page to enhance usability:
- "All" displays in filtering fields at the top of each column before text is entered
- The bulk action icon and menu appears after one backlog row is checked instead of two
Updated Rally Add-in for Excel
A new version of the Rally Add-in for Excel is available. Version 1.05 includes:
- Proxy support
- Revision history support
- Fixed defect related to sub-object queries that could result in incorrect data
- Fixed defect involving invalid profile settings that could cause workspace/project drop-down menus to fail
Updated Build Dashboard app
An updated version of the Build Dashboard app is available in the Rally App Catalog. The new version has multiple enhancements:
- Look and feel uses grids found in other Rally pages, such as Plan>Backlog
- Data columns in grids may be resized with your cursor
- Filter build data by last 30 days, last 90 days, or by release
- Quick visual indication of build success rates over most recent 20 builds
- Updated bar graph showing build successes and failures per day
Updated Story Deep Copy app
The Story Deep Copy app has been updated to use components from App SDK version 1.29. A chooser component has been added to the app, making it easier to find a user story to copy. The look and feel is also consistent with other Rally catalog apps.
App SDK 1.30
The App SDK was updated twice, with versions 1.29, and 1.30. All updates were to keep naming conventions in line with our Web Services API. No changes were made to code.
Updated REST Toolkit for .NET
The Rally REST Toolkit for .NET has been updated to version 1.05. This version adds support for proxies.
Changes to the SOAP, REST, & JSON Web Services API
The Web Services API has been revised to version number 1.30. Click the Web Services API link from the main Help page to view your Web Services documentation.
Click the API Versioning link under Topics in the left navigation of the Web Services API documentation for details about version changes.
Hardware and software requirements
The On-Premises image now requires 70GB of storage for virtual disk space. Please ensure this is available prior to installation.
- Minimum 1024 X 768 X 256-color video resolution, 1280 x 1024 recommended
Supported web browsers
We at Rally are committed to making our software easily accessible. You can access Rally wherever you have a connection to your On-Premises server via a PC, Linux, or Macintosh computer.
Nevertheless, it is not possible or practical for us to support every operating system and browser combination that is available. To take advantage of the newest Rally features, we recommend that you use one of the following fully supported browsers:
- Internet Explorer*
We support the two latest versions of each of these browsers. We do not recommend using development, test, or beta versions of these web browsers. Versions that are not publicly released may not work properly with the Rally application. In particular we strongly suggest using Chrome.
* Internet Explorer We support Internet Explorer 9, Internet Explorer 8, and Internet Explorer 7, and provide limited support for Internet Explorer 6.
- Minimum Adobe Reader 5.0 Microsoft Windows platforms (not Linux)
- Adobe Reader 7.0 recommended
Defects resolved in Release 2012.1
- DE10699 - Some users see multiple duplicate values when editing a custom field
- DE12105 - Print Story Card and Task apps cut off content when printing
- DE12207 - Window does not have back/forward icons and address bar when help links clicked using Chrome
- DE12370 - AppSDK: Inconsistent dropdown behavior in some custom apps
- DE12590 - Wrong project displays on child work items when using Excel Add-In
- DE12690 - Deleting a custom Type value when it exists on a portfolio item in the recycle bin produces error screen
- DE12699 - Revision history column not displaying data when using Excel Add-In
- DE12703 - Some users unable to populate workspace and project data in Excel Add-In
- DE12708 - Test cases associated with test sets do not display in custom reports
- DE12738 - In-Progress date can be updated more than one time on work items
- DE12747 - YUI components for Rally charts need to be updated per 2.8.2 bulletin
- DE12766 - Default help links that appear when creating a blank custom app are broken
- DE12776 - Some users unable to edit tags on work items after moving them to a new project
- DE12802 - Iteration Summary app doesn't account for custom schedule state beyond Accepted
- DE12810 - Some users seeing incorrect velocity charts
- DE12871 - Some users see an error page when attempting to generate a custom report
- DE12879 - Add My Tasks button not working on Timesheet page
- DE12888 - Split user story screen omits some information if fields contain large amounts of data
- DE12889 - Super Customizable Release Chart app collecting values from default instead of current workspace
- DE12927 - Some users unable to see more than the first column in the Kanban Board app
- DE12933 - Unable to save default value for test case Type field
- DE12987 - Some users unable to delete tags
Known issues in Release 2012.1
Not all work items may be recovered from the Recycle Bin
Only user stories, portfolio items, defects, test cases, and tasks are recoverable from the Recycle Bin.
Dragging test sets into the backlog on the Plan page
Dragging a test set from an iteration into the backlog on the Plan page will appear to make the test set disappear. The test set is still in Rally, but it has become unscheduled. To view the test set, go to the Iteration Status page and choose an iteration drop-down value of Unscheduled.
Popup blockers and Rally
Be aware that some of Rally’s content is displayed using popup windows. Popup blockers may inhibit this functionality. To correct this, configure your popup blockers to allow Rally popups.
Notifications using the conditions "owner changed-to/from" will not send against new Rally work items
If you create a notification rule with ownership changed conditions, and then change the ownership on a Rally work item that has never had an owner, a notification will not be sent.
User story list view displays incorrect summaries when parent stories are shown
Users who have both parent and child stories visible in the List (flat) view on the User Stories page will see summaries at the top of the list that combine parent and child estimates. We are considering fixing this by only showing child stories in this view, and would appreciate your feedback.
Iteration Defect Status printed report shows incorrect totals
The default settings for “Print Report” on Iteration Defect Status work correctly. However, if you deselect “show nested items” the report will indicate that all stories have “no defects”, even if some do. To work around this, make sure you keep “show nested items” checked when printing this report.
Custom Timesheet Reports will display "No Entry" where a custom field should be if Rally artifact is deleted
If you run a Custom Timesheet Report that includes deleted data, the output will include "No Entry" instead of a custom field name for any deleted work items.
Pasting formatted text from MS Word may result in error
Copy-pasting rich-format text into a work item editor from Microsoft Word may result in formatting or system errors. To work around this issue, compose directly in the Rally work item editors, or convert your entry to plain text before pasting.
404 error screen when searching for a test set by FormattedID
Searches for a specific test set using the exact FormattedID string will result in a 404 error page. Search by the test set name in order to work around this error.
404 error screen when saving multiple new workspaces
When creating a new workspace, selecting the Save button followed by the Save & New button will display a 404 error screen. You may avoid this issue by selecting the Save & Close option when creating a new workspace.