The Product Backlog
What is a product backlog?
- A list of all the work yet to be done.
- A ranked list of briefly-described feature requests. Ideally, these should be broken down into user stories.
Why is the product backlog important?
- It is constructed and designed so a delivery team can provide estimates for each feature.
- It helps guide roadmap planning. Having a list of features whose rank can be changed allows us to welcome new ideas and changes in direction.
- It helps teams focus on delivering the highest value first; teams rank and re-rank for value.
Characteristics of the product backlog
One backlog per product, seeded by large to very large features
Note: Backlogs can be worked on by a single team or by multiple teams.
- Feature ranking is based on business value, technical value, risk management, and strategic fit
- Highest ranked backlog items are decomposed during release planning into stories that can be completed inside an iteration
© 2015 Rally Software Development Corp | Legal