Portfolio Item Cost Tracking
Portfolio managers can use the Portfolio Item Cost Tracking app to view the cost of the work, and how that cost is broken down based on a release or a parent across many teams that may have different costs.
- View the cost of work by Portfolio Item.
- View how cost is broken down based on a release or a parent across teams that have different costs.
- The returned data set of Portfolio Items includes Portfolio Items of the selected type who's Actual End Date or Planned End Date (if Actual End Date is not populated) falls within the selected date range.
Portfolio Item Cost Tracking Settings
You can configure the Portfolio Item Cost Tracking App with settings.
Determines which currency sign to display next to calculated costs.
Calculate Preliminary Budget using
Determines which field to use to calculate the Preliminary Budget. The preliminary budget is calculated by multiplying the value of the selected field by the Cost per Unit for the project of the item. Note that for portfolio item types beyond the lowest level, this is calculated from the preliminary estimate of the portfolio item, not from the sum of the portfolio item children. If the selected field value is null, then -- will display.
Normalized Cost Per Unit
Cost per unit to use for calculating all costs where a specific project cost per unit is not specified.
Exceptions to the normalized cost
To specify project costs different than the value in the Normalized Cost Per Unit, click the Select Projects button to add projects to the exceptions list. Once in the exceptions list, update the grid with the desired cost per unit for each project.
Cost Calculation type details
For all Cost Calculation options, the following definition applies: Cost Per Unit = Cost per unit for the current project scope. If the cost per unit is defined for the specific project in the Exceptions area of the App Settings, then that number will be used. Otherwise, the Normalized Cost Per Unit will be used.
Based On Story Points
When Based On Story Points, the costs are calculated as followed:
- Total Projected Cost: Story Plan Estimate Total * Cost Per Unit
- Actual Cost: Accepted Story Plan Estimate Total * Cost Per Unit
- Remaining Cost: Total Projected - Actual Cost
If there are no stories associated with the feature, or if the stories associated with the feature have no estimates, the Total Projected Cost will be the Preliminary Budget and Actual Cost will be 0.
Based On Task Actuals
When Based On Task Actuals, the costs are calculated as followed:
- Total Projected Cost: Task Estimate Total * Cost Per Unit
- Actual Cost: Task Actual Total * Cost Per Unit
- Remaining Cost: (ToDo) Task Remaining Total * Cost Per Unit
Customize the app
- To select additional columns to be displayed, click the field picker icon.
- To filter the selected portfolio item types, click the filter icon.
- To export the results as a CSV file, click the export icon.