Manage the Backlog
Manage your backlog to maintain an organized view of upcoming and prioritized work. Managing the backlog consists of the following:
Watch the video below to see an overview of actions you can take on the Backlog page, learn about some best practices and advanced tips, and access a list of frequently asked questions:
Add backlog items
You can add a new user story, defect, or defect suite to the backlog page from the top of the backlog page, or Quick Add multiple items. You can add a work item with detail, or you can put in a minimum amount of information and add more later.
Do you have multiple items to add? At the top of the page, enter the Name in the blank provided and press Enter. Your new item is added and you are positioned in the Name field for your next entry.
After each action on the Backlog page, you receive an interactive status message. The message confirms your action and shows other actions that can be taken on the item.
Only child stories can be scheduled—parent stories do not display in the backlog.
By default, the backlog page is sorted in descending rank order. Any item entered using the box at the top or bottom of the page adds your new item to the bottom of the backlog page as the lowest rank.
To add items from the top of the page:
- Click the +Add New button at top of the page. The following options display:
- Click the drop-down arrow to select the item type to add to your backlog.
- Enter the name of the new work item.
- Click Add to add the work item to the backlog with only the name defined, or click Add with Details to launch the full work item editor page.
Your new backlog item is added to the bottom of the page indicating it has the lowest rank.
To add items on a specific place on the page:
- Click row action icon in the row above where you want your new item.
- Click Insert New Below and the same add bar from above appears in place.
When you press Enter or click off the field, the new item is added directly below the current row.
To add a child user story:
- Select a user story row and click the row action icon .
- Select Add Child.
The New Story editor displays with the Parent field auto-populated.
- When you save the new child, the original story is replaced by the new child story.
A flair message displays at the top of the page confirming your child story was added. It also has a link to show the parent column in your display. The parent column helps you visualize the parent-child relationship.
To import stories or defects, export or print:
- Select the Import/Export/Print icon in the upper-right corner of the Backlog page.
- Click the desired option from the dropdown menu.
Edit backlog items
You can edit any work item on the Backlog page inline, or you can launch the full editor.
To edit inline:
- Double-click in any field in the selected row to edit that field.
- While using inline edit mode, you can:
- Use your tab key to move from field to field.
- The up and down keyboard arrows move you to the same field on the row above or below your current one.
- Press Esc to cancel any inline field edit.
- Press Enter or click another field to save your changes.
To use the full editor, click the gear menu and select Edit.
To enter bulk edit mode:
- Select more than one work item by selecting the checkbox next on each row.
- Click the bulk edit mode gear menu, and select Edit.
- Choose the field that you want to edit and enter or select a new value.
- Click Apply to edit the selected work items.
Customize the Backlog page
There are multiple ways that you can arrange or customize your Backlog page to make management of your backlog items easy.
- Apply filters: Click the Filters icon and select any column headings to add (including your own custom fields). Click Apply.
- Select the Filter ID drop-down menu to quickly filter by ID on the page. You can enter keywords or ID in the search box to find results.
- Add columns: Click the Show Columns icon and select any column headings to add (including your own custom fields). Click Apply.
- Reorder columns: Drag and drop any column header to a new location.
- Sort by column: Click the column header to sort in ascending or descending order.
- Resize columns: Drag any column edge to resize it.
- Pagination: Set your pagination options to display a specific number per page (up to 200), or use the standard Previous, Next, and so on commands.
Before you can use drag-and-drop ranking, your view must be sorted by the Rank field.
You may add one of the status columns to your Backlog page display to see the state of work items associated to your user story or defect. When displayed, the column will describe the status of the associated items.
Click a status icon to view a pop-up with detailed information on the tasks associated with the work item without leaving the page.
|None||No tasks associated to the work item|
|Defined||Tasks associated to the work item, all have a state of Defined|
|In Progress||Tasks associated to the work item, at least one has a state of In Progress, none are blocked|
|Blocked||Tasks associated to the work item, at least one is Blocked|
|Completed||Tasks associated to the work item, all have a state of Completed, none are blocked|
The Defect Status column is only applicable to user stories on the Backlog page. The column, if added, displays the state of a defect.
|None||No defects associated to the user story|
|Some Closed||Defects associated to the user story, at least one does not have a state of Closed|
|All Closed||Defects associated to the user story, all have a state of Closed|
Test Case Status
|None||No test cases associated to the work item|
|None Run||Test cases associated to the work item, but no test case results have been entered|
|Some Run||Test cases associated to the work item, all those with a result have a verdict of Pass, all other test cases have no results|
|Some Not Passing||Test cases associated to the work item, at least one with a result has a verdict other than Pass|
|All Passing||Test cases associated to the work item, all have results with a verdict of Pass|
Click a status icon to view a pop-up with detailed information on the discussions associated with the work item and add new comments without leaving the page. Use the Post button to add a new comment. You may delete your old or erroneous comments by clicking the trashcan icon. Administrators may delete comments made by any user.
|No comments exist on the work item.|
|Comments exist on the work item. The number next to the icon represents the total number of comments.|