Manage Your Site and Users
To have your Ideas site set up, please contact your CA Agile Central Sales Representative. If you are unsure of who to contact, please Contact Support for assistance.
If you have CA Agile Central Idea Manager administrator privileges, you can manage users and change settings for your site.
Managing your site and users includes:
Set up your site features
Administrators set up and manage your CA Agile Central Idea Manager site. Click the Setup tab, which defaults to the Site tab. The Site tab has seven pages:
The Info page contains basic information about your site, including site's title, meta keywords and descriptions, and the Vanity URL. Use the Vanity URL field if you wish to use your own URL for your site.
The Components page allows you to enable user profiles and RSS feeds. RSS feeds are available for public sites only. The contact email field defines the system email from which all email notifications come. If you leave this field blank, the system notifications will come from the site administrator's email address.
Specify whether to display the Dashboard tab for all users. The default is to display only for administrators.
In the Site baby-sitter field, enter the email address that should be BCCed on all system-generated emails.
You can also elect to turn off all site emails.
Advanced email options
You can enable daily or weekly mail digests to reduce the number of individual notification emails users receive regarding their ideas. Users can select these enabled options in their profile settings.
Use the Security page to determine whether the site is public or private, as well as how users may register.
On the What type of site do you want? field, select Private if you want users to log in to view ideas. Select Public to allow everyone to view ideas.
For registrations, select one of the following options:
- Everyone: Users can click on the Register tab and enter their email address and receive an automated registration email.
- Admin Invite Only: The Register tab is disabled. Users must be invited to participate by an administrator.
You can restrict your participants through their email address domain so that only specified domains are allowed to self-register.
- Select the Restrict Self-Registration by Email Domain checkbox.
- Enter a domain (such as rallydev.com, brightidea.com, yahoo.com) and click Add Domain.
Only users using domains added to the right-most box can self-register.
- To remove a specific email domain, select the domain and click Remove Domain.
- Click Save Changes.
Terms and conditions
Use the Terms page to enter the Terms and Conditions for the use and participation in CA Agile Central Idea Manager. Basic HTML is allowed. Users must agree to the terms when they first log in. A link to the Terms and Conditions is also displayed on most pages.
Use the Design page to set up the overall look and feel of CA Agile Central Idea Manager.
The banner is the area at the top of the screen. You can add content to the banner area by uploading an existing image or by using HTML. An image should be 950 pixels wide and generally no more than 150 pixels tall. Using HTML allows you to use multiple images, custom styling, animated GIF files, embedded video, and custom navigation.
You can choose from five different pre-set colors for quick, overall color changes. You can also customize specific elements such as the body, buttons, widgets, menu bar, idea list, and idea-specific elements. To customize these elements, click on the color square to choose from a palette or enter the five-digit hex code.
You can customize the existing CSS (cascading style sheet) or upload your own CSS. CSS allows a highly customizable interface that can be easily integrated into the overall branding already established by your company. With CSS, you can customize properties such as colors, fonts, styles, widget sizes, top navigation, and background.
Create blog posts that all users can read. You can specify whether users can post or comment. Users must subscribe to see the blog, or they can be added by an administrator.
There are two ways in which to add users. Administrators can also view which users are registered.
When you administer the security settings to allow to register, users may click the Register link to sign up:
- Select Everyone from the Which users do you want to allow to register? field.
- Click Save Changes.
You may invite one or more users to create an account by sending a registration invitation through email.
To resend or edit an existing invitation, click the Recipients link next to an invitation to resend the invitation.
To create a new invitation:
- Click the Create New Registration Email button to send a new invitation to email addresses that you specify.
- Enter the information needed to create the invitation, then click Send Invites.
To import users:
- Click the Create New Registration Email button.
- Click Import Users to import a list of users from a CSV file.
- Specify the users you wish to invite.
- Click Send Invites to send the invitations.
View who is registered
You may see who registered to join your community as a result of your email invitations.
Find your invitation in the list and click the Recipients link in the row to see a list of people who registered from your invitation.
As an administrator, you can:
- Find users and display information about them
- Block and unblock users
- Reset passwords
- Designate other users as administrators
- Set leaderboard points
- Invite users to join the community
- On the Users tab, click the Manage page.
- Enter search criteria in the field and select a user from the suggested user list.
- Click Select to display more information about the user name you specified.
- Click the show details link to display more information about the user.
Block and unblock users
Once you've selected a user, click the Block or Unblock button (as applicable) to change the user's status. Blocked users may not log in until they are unblocked. Click the Blocked Users page on the Users tab to see a list of blocked users.
To reset a user's password, select the user and click the Reset Password button. An email with instructions for changing the password will be sent to the user.
To add or remove administrator privileges from an existing user account:
- Click the Administrators page on the Users tab.
- Enter search criteria in the User field and select a user from the suggested user list.
- Click the Add Administrator button to grant administrator privileges to the user you selected.
- Click the X to the right of a user in the list to remove administrator privileges.
The Site Sponsor is the first site administrator who will configure, setup, and manage the site after it is created.
Set leaderboard points
Click the Reputation page to specify how many points a user earns for registering, promoting, demoting, posting, or commenting on an idea, and when a user promotes another user's idea. Values must be whole numbers, either positive or negative. You may change the values at any time, but changes are not retroactive.
Define your point system based on actions for which you would like to motivate your users. For example, set a higher number of points for posting ideas if you want more ideas submitted.
Invite users to join the community
You may invite one or more users to create an account by sending a registration invitation by email.
Set up user guidance
Administrators can set up customizable text boxes to guide users within CA Agile Central Idea Manager. These text boxes can display on the following pages:
- Login page
- Ideas page
- Post Idea page
To edit the text boxes:
- From the main Ideas page, click the guidance panels setup link.
- Click the icon to edit an individual text box.
Use HTML to enter your custom text. You can change the background color of the box or the font. You can also change the size of the text box, but be sure to set the width so that it still fits within the screen.
- To save your changes and close editing, click the icon again.
Text boxes are optional—if you leave them blank they do not display.
CA Agile Central Idea Manager employs the Brightidea Application Programming Interface (API) to empower you to create custom reports or to automate data updating functions.
This API uses the Representational State Transfer (REST) protocol that requests data in the form of an HTTP request and receives the data back in an XML format.
For more details about using API, see these references:
- Sample Code