Some of the features listed in this document are currently in Beta, please get in touch with your Subscription Administrator for more information.
As a product manager, you may use ideas to create features and stories in CA Agile Central. To make this process easier, categorize ideas and monitor idea activity.
When features are in progress or are ready for release, you can use CA Agile Central Idea Manager to communicate updates to the community.
Managing ideas includes:
- Change the status of an idea
- Edit ideas
- Organize ideas
- Promote an idea to a story in CA Agile Central
- Specify idea details
- Hide or update an idea
- View a user's ideas
- Share idea links
Change the status of an idea
Administrators can change the status of an idea to communicate to the idea's submitter that the idea is moving ahead in the process, or that it has changed in priority.
There are several ways to change the status of an idea:
- One idea at a time
- Through a batch update based upon the Schedule State of a linked story in CA Agile Central
When you change the status of an idea, all subscribers to the idea are notified by email.
Update the status for a single idea
Trigger a batch status update for all ideas linked to CA Agile Central work items
When you trigger a batch update, statuses for all ideas with active links to CA Agile Central stories are updated based on the criteria that the site administrator set up for the integration to CA Agile Central.
Edit an idea
Administrators can change information about ideas after they are posted. Idea editing must be enabled from the Setup tab.
You will see information about your idea post:
Click the edit icon next to any field you would like to edit. You can add or change tags, or to edit idea information (other than comments).
Administrators can pin a comment to the top of of an idea list. The pinned comment will stay at the top and indicate that the pinned comment is from your company.
To pin a comment, an administrator can mark an idea as Admin Comment. To unpin, click on the thumbtack icon.
As a product manager, you need to organize ideas in a way that provides value to your site and company. Organizing ideas can include tasks such as:
- Manage duplicate ideas
- Change the category of an idea
- Change the status of an idea
- Change or add tags to an idea
- View idea counts
Manage duplicate ideas
Even though the duplicate checker searches for duplicate or similar ideas already entered, some duplicate ideas may exist. To manage duplicate ideas, you can:
Change the category of an idea
To change the category to which an idea is already assigned:
- For the idea you want to change, click the Edit icon link.
- On the editor, click the arrow on the drop-down box of the Select a Category (Required):* field, then select the category you wish to use.
- Click Change Category.
Change and add tags to an idea
To change or add tags to which an idea is already assigned:
- For the idea you want to change, click the Edit Idea link.
- Add or edit tags in the Please list tags related to your submission field.
Multiple tags must be separated by a space.
- Click Update Idea.
View idea counts
See which ideas are getting the most views by users.
- You must have idea view count enabled from the set up tab. From the Ideas tab, click the Ideas page.
- Select the Idea View Count checkbox.
- Click Save Changes.
Promote an idea to a work item in CA Agile Central
When you decide to implement an idea, you can quickly promote the work item to a story within CA Agile Central Software. You can connect an idea to a new work item or to an existing work item. You can also connect multiple ideas to a work item.
Each association and dissociation between an idea and a work item creates adiscussion entry on the work item and the URL of the idea. This is particularly useful if there is more than one idea associated with one work item.
- Open the idea you wish to promote.
- Click the Link to CA Agile Central.
- Specify whether to create a new work item or link to to an existing work item.
- Choose the workspace, project, and work item type and click Create New Item.
- To view your new story in CA Agile Central, click the story link.
Once your idea is entered in CA Agile Central Software, there are three CA Agile Central Idea Manager-specific fields which can help the development team view key information about the idea:
- Idea URL: An active link to the idea in CA Agile Central Idea Manager. Use this link to view comments and other information.
- Notes: Indicates which user created the story in CA Agile Central Software. This area also specifies the idea site from where the idea came.
- Idea Votes: An up-to-date number of the votes the idea has received.
Only the idea's name and description are populated in CA Agile Central. Other custom or required fields you may have set up in CA Agile Central Idea Manager do not display in a linked CA Agile Central work item.
Specify idea details
Set up default information for posting and managing ideas.
The Ideas tab has five pages:
- Submission Form
Specify idea details
Use the Ideas page to set up features related to ideas. Specify what fields to check for duplicates, what actions to allow for community members, and whether to allow demote voting in addition to promote voting.
Select the My Favorites checkbox to enable users to assign ideas to their My Favorites list. You must also set up My Favorites as an idea list tab.
If you enable voting, you can choose to use simple or chip voting. With chip voting, specify the number of chips allotted per user and the number of chips a user can give to a single idea. Chips can be returned to the user once an idea they have voted on have reached a specific status.
Set up categories
Use the Categories page to set up the categories from which you will choose when organizing ideas. The character limit for a category name is 50; however, CA Agile Central recommends you limit the name to 30 characters or it will be cut off in the dashboard's Category Distribution chart.
Set up statuses
Use the Statuses page to set up statuses that you will use to communicate the progress of ideas to community members.
Customize the submission form
Use the Submission Form page to customize the submission form used by community members to post ideas. To make changes to the form, click the Edit Form icon.
- To add a question, click Add Question, then select the format for your question. Specify your details on the form that is presented and click Done to save your changes.
- To edit a question, click the Edit link to the right of the question. Click Done to save your changes.
- To remove a question, click the Remove Question link to the right of the question.
- To change the order of questions, move them up or down on the page by dragging the blue bar to the left of the question. Click Save Order to save your changes.
Update or hide an idea
You will see information about the idea post:
- Click the edit idea icon to add more tags to the idea.
- Click Edit Idea to change tags or to edit idea information (other than comments). Make your updates and click Update Idea to save them.
- Click Toggle idea visibility to remove the idea from searches, lists and filters. Use this to hide idea posts that may be inappropriate. Hidden ideas are not included in reports or on the dashboard, but are included in community statistics.
- Include user profile data
- Include submission form data
- Include idea comments
View a user's ideas
You can view all the ideas an individual user has entered.
The Ideas section contains a list with links to all the ideas an individual user has entered. The list also specifies the status and the number of comments for the idea.
You can download information about ideas, votes, login history, search history, categories, API, trend tracking, and follower information from CA Agile Central Idea Manager. Downloaded data from the last 30 days is saved in .xls files where you have set up for downloads on your computer.
Hidden ideas are not reported.
Download ideas information
Select the Ideas page to download information about ideas.
You can use the following filters for the ideas export:
Download all ideas
Select any of the checkboxes as needed to include user profile data, submission form data, and idea comments.
The Score column on the report reflects the number of votes an idea has received. For example, an idea with 10 positive votes has a score of 10, and an idea with 10 positive votes and one negative vote has a score of 9.
Download idea status change history
Use this report to view the status history of ideas.
Download vote activityClick the Votes page to download information on the number of votes per idea.
Download user activity
Click the Users page to download information about users and their activity on the site. This includes the number of ideas and comments posted, last login date, and voting statistics. Specify whether to include user profile information.
Download login history
Click the Login History page to download information about login activity on the site. Specify whether to include user profile information.
Click the Categories page to download information on the number of ideas assigned to each category.
Download trend tracking history
Click the Trend Tracking page to download trend history during a given date range.
Share idea links
In order to encourage other users to comment on or promote your ideas, you can email them a link to the idea. Only administrators have access to the vanity URL necessary for sending links to ideas.
Append the idea's ID to the URL. For example, http://companyname.brightidea.com/idea/D1103.