Investments are a business-centric view of work across projects and timeboxes. You can associate and track financial information with a collection of work. Investments are scoped at the workspace level. Custom fields are allowed.
Investments versus Milestones
|Are target dates for events that are important to the business, such as a trade show||Track a collection of work that rolls up to a shared funding amount, such as financial data|
|Can be project specific||Can be created at the workspace level|
|Can be associated to any work item||Can only be associated to the lowest-level portfolio item|
|Learn more about milestones||Show all the work associated with an investment|
Create and Manage Investments
To create a new investment:
- From the Portfolio menu, select the Investments page.
- On the Investments summary page, click Add New.
- Enter a name and select Create With Details.
- Complete the following required fields:
- Name: Must be a unique value.
- Start Date
- End Date
- Amount: Must be a numeric value with a maximum of 13 digits. The value is currently only in US Dollars.
To associate work with an investment:
- From the Investment Quick Detail page, click the portfolio items icon to open the portfolio items page.
- Click Add New.
- Use the chooser and filter functions to find and select one or more portfolio items.
- Click Done.
Track the Status of an Investment
There are three ways to track the percent done for an investment:
- Story aggregate of the Percent Done by Story Plan Estimate on each associated feature.
- Workdays: The number of workdays that have elapsed beginning from the Start Date to the End Date of the investment.
- Child Artifacts Scheduled: The number of features associated to the investment that have the Release field set with a value other than Unscheduled.
See all the dependencies that are associated with your investment to monitor potential risks to your release schedule. On an investment's quick detail page, you can see the number of associated dependencies.
Click the dependencies icon to view a list of all items assigned to the investment that have a dependency relationship with another work item. Items will display even if the other item involved in the dependency relationship is not assigned to the selected investment.
Learn more about dependencies.