Import and Export Data
Import data from other products into CA Agile Central using a comma separated value (CSV) formatted file. From each summary page in CA Agile Central, you can choose an Import option from the Actions drop-down to launch an import wizard.
|Backlog||Import User Stories|
|User Stories||Import User Stories|
|Iteration Status||Import User Stories
|Portfolio Items (Requires CA Agile Central Portfolio Manager)||Import Portfolio Items|
|Test Cases (Requires CA Agile Central Quality Manager)||Import Test Cases|
When importing data, be sure to consider the following:
To import a CSV file:
- From the summary page you need to import work items from, select Actions → Import.
- On the Import pop-up, verify your CSV file is correctly formatted by clicking the hyperlinked import template.
The header columns in these templates must be exactly reproduced in your CSV file for successful import. Each template can be modified for your import.
- Click Browse to locate your CSV file.
- Select your file and click Open.
- Optionally, click the advanced hyperlink to specify your character encoding.
- Click Import and your data is imported and displayed at the end of the summary view.
Data is added to the top of the summary view.
If the path to your import file location is 256 characters or greater and your operating system is Microsoft Windows, your file cannot be imported. This is a limitation of Windows.
If your administrator has marked some fields as required, you must provide values for those columns in the CSV file.
Any custom values or custom fields you have added to a work item are included in the related data import template. Standard fields are listed first, followed by custom fields.
Importing a file that has been exported from the parent project will only import into the current project. It will not import into multiple projects.
Data import specifications
Different work items offer different levels of data import. Use the following table to guide you when importing work items.
|Import||Imported Fields||Field-Level Specifications|
Format files for CSV import
The import dialog contains a link to download data import templates which helps you format your CSV file correctly to ensure all your data is imported. Each work item has a specific data import template which provides a format for all fields contained within the work item. To successfully import a file, the column headers must match those present in the data import templates. CA Agile Central suggests you download the provided template to verify correct formatting each time before you import your file. Each template can be modified for your import.
The first line of the data import template consists of column headers. The second line of the template contains sample data.
CSV file formatting considerations:
- Fields are separated by commas and enclosed in quotes if they contain commas or quotes
- Embedded quotes in your input data are doubled
- Embedded spaces do not require surrounding quotes
- There is no comma following the last field on the line
- Null fields are represented by two consecutive commas
- Leading and trailing spaces on fields—even inside quotes—are ignored
- File must normally end with a single CrLf (Carriage return, Line Feed or both)
- The length of the path to your CSV file may not exceed 255 characters
- Both Windows and non-Windows file browsing are supported
You will be prompted with message dialogs from CA Agile Central should the following situations occur:
- Importing a file greater than 2MB
- Missing or incorrect header
- Invalid value for boolean fields: valid values are t, T, F, f, True, False, true, false
- Invalid, non-numeric values in numeric fields
- Invalid date formats: all dates must be formatted as mm/dd/yyyy
- Invalid user name fields (Owner, Submitted By) if the user name does not exist
- Importing a non-CSV file format
- Importing fields with case-sensitive list values that do not match
- Importing an empty file
You can export user stories, test cases, defects, releases, iterations, portfolio items, and tasks. You can export your data to a CSV or XML file. Open this file with any application that can access CSV or XML file format and manipulate your data to display in charts, reports, and other presentations. The date and time format in your exported data will have the following format: 2016-05-10T21:26.13.984Z.
- From the summary page you want to export work items from, click Actions and select a format:
- XML (not available on all summary pages)
- On the Export pop-up, specify whether you want to open or save the file.
- Click OK.
The CSV option exports the fields that are currently displayed on the summary page. Create a custom view to include additional fields to get your desired export data.
Child user stories are exported and ordered by parent user story rank, then hierarchy and child user story rank. The Parent ID field contains the ID of the parent user story.
You must have at least edit-level security to export a work product.
If drag-and-drop ranking is active and you attempt to export a view and re-rank your data outside of CA Agile Central, your export will reflect a page order rather than a rank number. Upon importing the data, your new page order will be preserved; however, the imported work items will be appended to the end of the view. Existing work items are not overwritten, but instead are treated as new work items.
XML exports references to the objects, not the actual child collections. Collections include:
- Artifact → Changesets
- Artifact → Tags
- Build → Changesets
- BuildDefinition → Builds
- BuildDefinition → Projects
- Change → Artifacts
- Change → Builds
- Change → Changes
- Defect → Changesets
- Defect → Duplicates
- Defect → Tasks
- Defect → Test Case Result
- Defect → Test Cases
- Defect Suite → Defects
- Defect Suite → Tasks
- Userstory → Changesets
- Userstory → Children
- Userstory → Defects
- Userstory → Predecessors
- Userstory → Successors
- Userstory → Tasks
- Userstory → Test Cases
- PortfolioItem/Feature → UserStories
- PortfolioItem/Initiative → Children (PortfolioItem/Feature)
- PortfolioItem/Strategy → Children (PortfolioItem/Initiative)
- Project → BuildDefinition
- Project → Children
- Project → Editors (Users)
- Project → Iterations
- Project → Releases
- Project → TeamMembers (Users)
- SCMRepository → Projects
- Subscription → Workspaces
- Test Case → Results (Test Case Results)
- Test Case → Steps (Test Case Steps)
- TestFolder → Children (Test Folder)
- TestFolder → TestCases
- TestSet → Tasks
- TestSet → TestCases