Rally's Eclipse Plugin Installation & User Guide
For developers and testers using the Eclipse framework for application development, the Rally connector for Eclipse provides access to Rally artifacts from within the Eclipse interface.
The artifacts (Rally stories, tasks, and defects) can be viewed or updated, along with viewing and sharing the context of those artifacts through the Mylyn framework, providing a one-stop access to information in Rally without having to leave the Eclipse IDE.
Mylyn (http://www.eclipse.org/mylyn ) is the task-focused UI for Eclipse that reduces information overload and makes multi-tasking easy. It does this by making tasks a first-class part of Eclipse.
Once your tasks are integrated, Mylyn monitors your work activity to identify information relevant to the task-at-hand, and uses this task context to focus the Eclipse UI on the interesting information, hide the uninteresting, and automatically find what is related.
This install guide includes:
- Software requirements
- Create a Rally task repository
- Create a query
- View the Rally dashboard
The following are the software requirements to use the Rally connector for Eclipse:
Known Limitations: IDP-initiated SSO isn't supported in Eclipse
- Launch Eclipse.
- Be sure Mylyn (3.12 or higher) is installed within Eclipse.
- Inside Eclipse, click the menu option Help → Install New Software...
- Enter the following URL into the Work with: field, and click Add... to create a new task repository:
Create a Rally task repository
- Launch Eclipse.
- Inside Eclipse, click the menu option Windows → Show View → Other.
- Inside the Mylyn folder, select both Task Repositories and Task List, then click OK to show these views.
- From the Task Repositories window, right-click on Tasks (under Local ) and select Add Task Repository....
- Select Rally, then click Next .
- Setup password recovery at this point if so desired.
- In the Add Task Repository... window, enter information into the corresponding fields:
- Login Method:,
- User ID: (your full rally Username even if using "Rally Single Sign-On"),
- Password: (if Login Method is not "Rally Single Sign-On").
- If Rally Single Sign-On was selected above for the Login Method:, then an SSO login window will appear. Enter your SSO credentials.
Create a query
- On the Task Repositories tab, right-click on the Rally repository you created and select New Query.
- Select Tasks & Stories, or Defects.
- Select the owner to filter.
- Select the workspace, project, iteration, and owner to display after the query is run.
- Click Finish to create the Query.
View the Rally Dashboard
- On the Eclipse toolbar, click Open Rally Dashboard.
- On the Rally Dashboard tab, select the task repository you would like to query.
- On the Rally Dashboard tab, select the query you would like to run.
Results will display on the Rally dashboard.
To create an Open Rally Dashboard button on the Eclipse toolbar:
- To add a command icon for the plugin, choose Window → Customize Perspective.
- From the Command Groups Availability tab, select the Rally checkbox.
The icon displays at the top of your environment in the toolbar.
When working with Support, you may need to provide a log file for the Eclipse plugin in order to help isolate the root cause. The log files are located in Tasktop application folder.
If you are using Eclipse, this is in <path to workspace>\.metadata\.log
- Windows Vista and above:
- Windows XP:
- C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Tasktop\workspace\.metadata\.log