Customize Your Workspace
A CA Agile Central subscription can consist of multiple workspaces. Each workspace can be subdivided into multiple projects. A workspace administrator is delegated and authorized by the subscription administrator for each workspace.
Once authorized for a workspace, the workspace administrator has the following capabilities:
- Workspace and project configuration: You can also create, edit, and read projects contained within the workspace for which you are an administrator.
- Workspace rights: You have full rights to all work items of the workspace.
- Manage users: Manage users for a subscription if the subscription administrator has provided permissions.
- Create users for the workspace
- Add users to each project in the workspace
- Add existing subscription users to the workspace
- Update all user profile fields for the workspace users
- Remove users from the workspace
Customizing your workspace consists of the following:
- Use multiple workspaces
- Manage workspaces
- Time zones
- View the Workspace detail page
- Set up work item prefixes
- Manage tags
- Configure units
- Set up work item fields
- Modify the Schedule State field
Use multiple workspaces
Before creating a new workspace, you should be aware of the impact on your organization's tracking and reporting options. Please decide carefully because you cannot merge workspaces.
|Advantages of multiple workspaces||Advantages of a single workspace|
|For CA Agile Central Portfolio Manager:
||For CA Agile Central Portfolio Manager:
Manage workspaces and projects
Depending on the size of your company, you may want to create additional workspaces and projects to organize your work.
From the Workspace summary page, the subscription administrator can administer all workspaces for your subscription. The workspace administrators can administer the specific workspaces to which they have been assigned. Use the Workspace summary page to create and manage projects and child projects when using project hierarchies.
From the Workspace summary page, the subscription administrator can:
- Use the Actions button to:
- Create a new workspace.
- Print a report for all workspaces and projects for your subscription. You can print a summary list or a detailed listing of all workspaces. Both report types include all projects contained within each workspace.
- Edit a workspace. Edits to each workspace are unique and are applied to all projects created within the specified workspace. Record a change description for each edit to the workspace to help you track changes made to the workspace.
- Sort by field values by clicking any linked column heading. Click the heading a second time and toggle between ascending and descending sort orders.
- Filter workspaces using the State or Owner fields.
- Create a project. Select the New project icon located to the right of the workspace that will contain the project.
- Create a child project. Select a workspace and expand it to view all current projects for the workspace. Select and expand the project to be designated as the parent project. Click the Add Child To... icon.
Time zones are set at the workspace level by the subscription or workspace administrator. Dates are treated as a specific, fixed point in time, not a calendar date. This allows for consistency with distributed teams. The workspace time zone is not necessarily the local server time zone.
Timeboxes start at midnight and end one second before midnight in the workspace time zone. Any dates displayed in grids include the time and time zone abbreviation in the workspace time zone. Emails and notifications are sent in the last time zone the user was in while logged into CA Agile Central.
Automatic permission setting for new users
Workspace and subscription admins can set a preferred permission default for new users created within a workspace. Edit the workspace settings to access the Default access for new users setting.
When creating a new user, admins will see the selected permission for all projects in the workspace inside the user editor window. You will still have the ability to change the permissions for specific projects while creating the user.
Close unused workspaces and projects
You cannot delete workspaces and projects. Instead, edit the workspace or project and set the State to Closed. Once the workspace or project is closed, it will remain intact, but will no longer display in the drop-down list on the navigation bar. Changes to workspaces are recorded in the revision history.
To view all projects (including closed projects) in the workspace, change the State drop-down from Open to All, and then click the Filter button at the top of the page.
There is an existing feature request to allow for permanent deletion of workspaces and projects. Encourage your team members and co-workers to add their comments and votes to this topic in CA Agile Central Ideas to give us a better indication of the number of users interested in this functionality.
Idea D229: Delete Workspaces/Projects
View the Workspace detail page
Go to associated workspace work items from the Workspace detail page using the workspace sidebar.
From the sidebar, you can:
- View a listing of all associated projects contained within this workspace
- Click any displayed project in the folder to navigate to its detail page
- Toggle your display between the associated project and workspace detail
- Click the Fields link on the sidebar to view, create, and edit fields associated with a work item
Use the Actions button located at the top of the Workspace detail page to edit, print, or create a new workspace.
Set up work item prefixes
As the subscription or workspace administrator, you can customize or edit your workspace settings. Each work item is required to have a unique prefix or tag to help you identify the type of work item at a glance. For example, set up user stories with a prefix of US, so a user story would look like this: US1103. You can set defects with a prefix of DE, so a defect would look like this: DE0415.
In the Work Item Prefix section, enter the desired prefix into the appropriate work item text box. You can customize an ID prefix for:
- User Stories
- Defect Suites
- Test Cases
Click Save after you make your changes.
The prefix can be an alphanumeric entry with a maximum length of 10 characters. All special characters are allowed. Each of these fields can be changed after the workspace has been started and data exists. When you edit the workspace in progress, the work item prefixes are updated immediately.
Use tags within a workspace to logically group work items by a theme recognized by team or organization members. Since users have the ability to create their own tags, the list of available tags can become large over time. The subscription or workspace administrator may rename or archive tags to better organize and reduce clutter in the tag list.
When you rename a tag, its name on associated work items is changed in the tag list.
To rename a tag from a workspace:
When you archive a tag, you remove it from the tag list but you do not remove it from associated work items. Even though it is archived, it is still available in all drop-down lists used for filtering page views, notifications, and reports.
To archive a tag from a workspace:
When you delete a tag, you remove it from the tag list and any associated work items. Any custom views that use a deleted tag name will need to be edited to remove the invalid criteria.
To permanently delete a tag from a workspace:
Use the Units & Planning section of the workspace editor window to specify the increments of measurement applied to work effort at a release and iteration level within your workspace. Examples of units include units, points, hours, and days. To customize units, begin by editing your workspace settings.
Units are alphanumeric fields. All special characters are allowed. You can edit units after data has been already recorded in your project; however, the new units label will not be applied to previous data. The new label will only be applied to quantities created or edited after the change was made.
Set up work item fields
A work item field helps describe the characteristics of a specific work item, such as Display Name, Description, Priority, or Owner. A work item field may be visible or hidden, required or optional, unique to a work item or shared across many work items. Some work item fields are used by CA Agile Central and are visible to you. Others may be defined by you for your own purposes.
Work item fields are managed by the subscription or workspace administrator, and are applied to an entire workspace.
Click here to learn how to create and manage your fields and visibility settings among projects.
Modify the Schedule State field
Schedule State is a built-in drop-down field that is shared by all work items. Modifying one work item's Schedule State will apply to all work items.
There are six values for this field:
- Custom 1 (customizable value)
- Custom 2 (customizable value)
Changes to the custom fields will span across all work items that use it. To change either of the two custom values, watch this demo or do the following:
- Click the Fields link in the sidebar.
- From the Work Item drop-down, select Defect or User Story.
- Click the gear icon next to Schedule State, then click Edit.
- Select the Custom 1 value in the Drop Down List Values box.
- Change the values in the Value and Legend fields.
- Select the Enabled and Actions fields.
- Click Save & Close.