The Custom List app (formerly known as the Custom Grid) is a powerful tool for helping manage work across enterprise teams. It is utilized commonly in custom pages and dashboards, which are some of the most heavily used pages in CA Agile Central. These pages help focus in on and manage the work most cared about, while also communicating real-time status with the rest of the organization. You can use the Custom List app to prepare, plan and track portfolios, programs and development work.
The Custom List app allows you to set up a view of set of work items. You can add multiple copies of the app to a page and set each to display data from multiple projects, iteration, releases, work item types, or other criteria. For example, you can create one app pulling data from dozens of projects and another one focused on a specific project filtered by iteration, release, and so on.
You can choose which fields display inside of the app and (with most fields) edit the values directly by double-clicking. You can also edit the same field on several work items at once with bulk edit mode. You can change the owner of several selected user stories, or associate a group of defects to a user story.
Click the gear menu icon on the app to access the Custom List settings.
- You can enter a new Title for the Custom List and select to follow the global project setting or select a specific project.
- You can set the list to change its data with your global project picker, or you can choose a specific project or group of projects to work from. If you choose the Follow Global Project Setting, then the contents of the board will change according to your global project picker. Select Choose a Specific Project if you want to see another project's work, regardless of your global project setting.
- Select the Type of work item you would like to display from the drop-down menu.
- Additionally, you can enter a custom query.
- Deselect or select the Show Control Bar checkbox. The Control Bar displays by default on the Custom List app. When the Control Bar is selected, the following capabilities are available:
- Add new work items to the list
- Select filters to apply to the list
- Filter items in the list by owner
- Select columns to display on the list
- Export, import, print
- Pagination (displays if there are 10 or more work items)
Use the app
Add new work items
You can click the Add button to quickly add a new work item and enter details later, or you can click Add with Details to open the editable detail page for the work item and enter details.
Sort items on the list
To sort items in the list in ascending or descending order, click the column header. The Custom List currently allows sorting by single field. For example, if you sort by Rank first and then click the ID column header, the rank sorting will not persist.
You can filter the list by many different values. Click the filter icon and select the desired field name, operator and value from the drop-down lists. Click Apply to save your changes. You can also Clear all filter values or Cancel if needed. To add more than three filters to the list, click Add New.
View the Use advanced filters and custom queries section for more detailed information on applying filters and using custom queries.
Use the Filter by Owner drop-down to select a team member and show cards on the list that apply to that team member. You can search for other people that aren't team members, and you can filter cards that have no owner.
Select columns to show on the list
Click the Show Columns icon. Search or scroll to select columns that you want to display on the list. Rank, ID and Name display as columns by default on the Custom List, but you can select to hide these columns by unchecking the checkbox. Click Apply to confirm your selections.
Examples of columns that might be helpful to add to your custom list:
- Blocked - whether or not a work item is blocked
- Collaborators - Count of anyone that has ever worked on the PI or any work item associated with the PI
The pagination component that you see on a number of other CA Agile Central pages is now available on the Custom List app.
Import, Export and Print
You can perform the following actions from the Import/Export/Print icon:
- Import work items
- Export work items to CSV
Use advanced filters and custom queries
The Custom List app gives you the ability to customize items listed by applying filters and as well as using custom queries. The Filter popover on the app provides dropdown lists where you can easily select values that you want to apply to your list, whereas the Query field requires that you enter a query using the correct syntax to apply to your Custom List.
Apply advanced filters
In the Filters popover, select the values you want to apply to the list.
For example, if you want to add high priority defects as a Custom List app, you could add the following values:
- Priority = Resolve Immediately
- State < Closed
If you want to add a Custom List app that displays a list of the top ten defects that the support team has tagged that they would like to see fixed, you could add the following values to the list:
- Tags = Support Top Request
- State < Closed
If you prefer to filter data on the app using queries, you can view more information on query syntax and view some example in the Apply custom queries section of this page.
You can edit the field value of multiple work items at once, using bulk edit mode.
To enter bulk edit mode:
- Select more than one work item by the checkboxes on each row. The gear menu switches to bulk edit mode .
- Click the bulk edit mode gear menu and select Edit.
- Select the field that you want to edit and select a new value.
- Click Apply to edit the selected work items.
You can edit most fields, including custom fields. However, some standard fields and types of custom fields are not supported. See the table below for a list of fields that do not display in the bulk edit chooser:
|Work item type||Fields|
|All work items||
Bulk parent or associate
You can add or change the parent of a group of user stories, or associate a group of tasks, defects, or test cases to related work items in a single step.
To bulk edit the parent or association of a work item:
- Select more than one work item by selecting the checkboxes on each row. The gear menu switches to bulk edit mode. .
- Click the bulk edit mode gear menu and select Choose Parent or Choose Work Product (depending on work item selected).
- From the chooser, search by keyword or ID to locate the work item you want to associate or set as the parent.
- Select the work item and click Choose.
Apply custom queries
In the Query field in Settings, you can use SQL-style syntax to write a query with multiple conditions to generate very specific results. For example, you can filter all user stories in project X, completed in iteration Y, owned by user Z, with a tag of A.
Learn more about writing custom queries:
High priority defects
This shows open P1 defects. Select Defect as your Type in the Settings panel.
Enter the following in the Query field:
- ((Priority = "Resolve Immediately") and (State < "Closed")) and (Requirement = null))
Support Top 10
Used for a support team who tags up to 10 items that they would like to be fixed soon.
Enter the following in the Query field:
- ((Tags.Name = "Top10") AND (State < "Closed"))