Create and Manage Milestones
Milestones are target dates for events that are important to the business. Setting these dates in CA Agile Central is beneficial to program, product, project and development managers, as well as product owners and engineering directors to track critical dates.
The Timeboxes summary page displays the ID of the milestone, name, target date (optional), item count (lowest- level portfolio items) in the milestone, and a count of all projects irrespective of permissions.
Milestones includes the following topics:
- Manage milestones
- Bulk edit milestone associations
- Filter by milestones
When creating a project, select the Copy Milestones checkbox to inherit all milestones from its parent.
The grid sorts milestones by descending order, with most recent Target Dates listed first.
Milestones are implicitly inherited by project children. If you associate a feature (lowest-level portfolio item) to a milestone, the milestone will not display on the child stories. Milestone goals are met when all children under the feature are completed.
- In the example below, the Chicago Tradeshow milestone has a scheduled feature with child stories.
- If you navigate to the feature's editable detail page, notice the milestones are listed in the Scheduled section:
- However, if you navigate to one of the child stories listed under the feature, notice that the milestones are not displayed in the Scheduled section of the editable detail page:
Consider the following about milestones:
- Milestones can be associated to multiple work items
- Work items can have multiple milestones
- Work items and milestones must share the same project
- Administrators can create milestones at the workspace permission level
You can view or associate work items to milestones from many pages in CA Agile Central:
- Portfolio Items
- Portfolio Item Timeline
- Portfolio Kanban
- Release Planning Board
- Editable Detail pages
- Iteration Status
- Iteration Planning Board
- Kanban Board
In the example below, the Portfolio Timeline shows a milestone for a tradeshow:
- Click Add New.
- Enter a name for the milestone. The name is limited to 32 characters.
- Enter an optional description for the milestone.
- Select a date for the milestone using the calendar selector drop-down.
- Click Add with Details. The quick-add option is unavailable on this page because at least one project must be selected on the detail page.
- Optionally, specify a Target Date or Color.
- Select one or multiple projects on the milestone detail page and click Create. The milestone will display in the grid.
Milestones on the grid are sorted by Date as the default in descending order, with the closest upcoming milestones listed first. You can sort by Name, ID, and Date by clicking on the column header. Sorting does not persist when navigating to another page.
If you change the project of a milestone, any work item associations may be removed. You will be prompted to confirm or cancel the project change. Changes are recorded in the milestone's revision history.
Click the hyperlinked ID on the Timeboxes summary page to access the detail page. From the detail page you can edit the milestone's name or use the gear icon to print, delete, or add a new milestone.
The Milestones detail page has three tabs:
From the Details tab, you can change the target date and associated projects.
From the Scheduled tab, you can view, edit, copy, or delete any associated portfolio items.
Additionally, you can select the Choose button to associate work items to a milestone.
You can then choose work items to associate with your milestone from the chooser window.
CA Agile Central systematically captures each field-level change any time you edit or update a work item and records changes on the Revisions tab.
Two milestone charts are available on the Charts tab of the milestone editable detail page: a burnup and a cumulative flow diagram. These charts visually represent how work is progressing towards a milestone. Both charts display user stories and defects, including children of items in a milestone. For example, if a milestone contains a feature (portfolio item), the burnup chart includes points for all stories in the feature.
Both charts allow selecting points or count for the y axis. The count is the total of user stories and defects. Points are the sum of Plan Estimate values. Only user stories and defects with no children are included in the scope total. Portfolio items and epic stories are not counted.
The milestone burnup chart shows how work is tracking to the target date. The blue line indicates scope and the green bars are the accepted work on a given date.
From the Burndown Chart Unit drop-down menu on the right, you can select the count of user stories and defects instead of points, or you can select to view both points and count.
Milestone cumulative flow
The cumulative flow chart shows the flow of work in a milestone. This is helpful for Kanban teams or those looking for bottlenecks in the process. Elements in the chart legend are clickable to show/hide series on the chart. For example, it is easy to hide states to focus on parts of the workflow.
From the Cumulative Flow drop-down menus on the right you can specify the following:
- Chart Unit: Select to view points or count on the chart.
- Field: Select Schedule State (selected by default) or a custom drop-down list.
- Shown States: Select the checkbox you want to display on the chart. You can select multiple states.
You must be at least a project editor for all projects in the milestone to delete milestones. Deleting a milestone will not remove it from current work items, but a permanent deletion from the Recycle Bin will do so and is reflected in the items' revision histories. Deleting a milestone to the Recycle Bin only removes it from view in the CA Agile Central. The work item associations are preserved, so that you can display them again after a restore from the Recycle Bin.
From the Timeboxes page, click the gear icon next to the milestone you want to remove, and choose Delete.
Reparenting and milestones
Click the project picker to select the projects to add to the milestone:
If a work item is moved to a new project, the work item will keep existing milestones if they exist in the new project.
Bulk edit milestone associations
You can add and remove existing milestones to portfolio items in bulk from the Portfolio Items page.
- Go to Portfolio → Portfolio Items.
- On the Portfolio Items page, select the portfolio items you wish to bulk edit.
- Click the gear icon and select Milestones.
- On the chooser, select or deselect the milestones you wish and click Apply.
Filter by milestones
Once added, you can filter work items by their milestones on the following pages:
Child work items are not filtered.
Click the Filter icon and select milestones as a filter option. After you select a value for the milestone, click Apply. Filters can easily be removed by clicking the filter icon and selecting Clear All and Apply.
A product manager or product owner could create a milestone for a tradeshow that will showcase a new feature or enhancement.
Here's how a milestone can be created for a tradeshow:
- Create and name the milestone.
- On the Scheduled tab, create or choose the work item that will collectively need to be completed to meet the milestone.
- View the progress of the milestone on the Portfolio Item Timeline.
Code deployment milestone
An engineering director could create a milestone to track an important code deployment.
Here's how a milestone could be created for a code deployment: