AgileEVM is an adaptation of the traditional project management practice of measuring actual value of integrated cost, schedule, and scope against a baseline plan using Earned Value Management (EVM) metrics. The methods of measurement have been adapted to easily fit within the Scrum project management framework.
For information on AgileEVM calculations, see AgileEVM: Measuring Cost Efficiency Across the Product Lifecycle, from Tamara Sulaiman.
Use the AgileEVM app
To provide valuable results, your agile team should do the following:
- The project should have at least one release.
- Developers must consistently populate the Actuals field on all their tasks.
- All release stories should have their Planned Estimate field populated during release planning.
- Iterations are required for the release you are reporting on.
The app assumes the following default values:
- Blended hourly rate for an employee: Default = $50/hour.
- Ratio between story points and task hours: Default = 5.
- Variance for Green, Yellow, and Red indicators: Default = 5.
Note: Changing the variance value results in the following percentage change to the variance indicator:
Variance of 5: >95% green, 85% to 94% yellow, < 84% red
Variance of 10: >90% green, 80% to 89% yellow, < 79% red
Use the Auto Height setting to automatically adjust the vertical space of the app based on the amount of visible data.
Change default values
To change the default values above:
- Create a custom page.
- Copy the code from the Agile EVM app in the CA Agile Central app catalog to the newly created Custom HTML app and edit the following variables in the Global Variables section of the code:
- Billable_rate: Blended hourly rate for an employee.
- Multiplier: Number of hours in an ideal developer day. For example, if a story point is equivalent to five hours of developer work, the multiplier is 5.
- baseVar : Variance for green, yellow, and red indicators. Options are limited to 5 or 10.