2014 Q3 Release Notes
These notes provide pertinent information regarding the additions to CA Agile Central On-Demand during the third quarter of 2014. Features and defect fixes continually released between August 1st and October 31, 2014 are included. Hardware and software requirements, compatibility, and known issues for the CA Agile Central Enterprise and Unlimited Editions during this time period are also provided.
What’s new in Q3
For CA Agile Central Enterprise and Unlimited customers:
Inline edit more fields from board apps and views
All fields types are supported, with a the following exceptions:
- Read-only fields
- Rich-text fields, including Description and Notes
Use this feature from the following locations:
- Track > Iteration Status beta page
- Portfolio > Portfolio Kanban page
- Kanban Board app
- Iteration Tracking Board app
- Iteration Planning Board app
- Portfolio Kanban app
Add-in for Excel v2.3
Version 2.3 of the CA Agile Central Add-in for Excel is now available. Features include:
- Last used workspace and artifact type persisted in Import dialog
- Log collection available for troubleshooting
- Bug fixes
For a full listing of new functionality and fixes in this version, see the CA Agile Central Add-In for Excel Installation and User Guide.
Enhanced search engine and results page
We've improved the performance of global search, and added many exciting new features:
- Items in the Recycle Bin can now be searched
- Relevancy-based results help you find your work items faster
- Filter your results by work item type, owner, or last update date
- Integration with your project picker
You can search inside your current project scoping by pressing the / key on your keyboard. Immediately begin typing in your criteria, then press Enter to search.
Community Edition upgrades
We've upgraded the set of pages and functions available to users of CA Agile Central Community Edition, in order to provide many of our latest features to more subscriptions. This change will also make your team's transition from Community Edition to Enterprise or Unlimited Edition seamless. All versions of CA Agile Central now provide the same set of standard views and pages.
New features include:
- Roll up reporting: Organize up to five CA Agile Central projects in a parent-child hierarchy, to identify product areas, portfolios, or teams-of-teams.
- Story organization: Create unlimited levels of parent-child hierarchies in your user stories, to track the breakdown of large goals into iteration-sized commitments.
- Release and team planning: Visit the new Release Status and Team Capacity pages to plan projects that span multiple iterations, and check your plan against team availability.
- Greater customization: Create unlimited custom fields to track specific data points.
- More views that matter: Create up to 10 personal and 10 shared custom pages, for personal and team-centric work areas.
Visual Studio plugin version 3.0
Version 3.0 of the CA Agile Central plugin for Microsoft Visual Studio has been released, which adds multiple features:
- Support for SSO using SAML
- Support for multiple instances of Visual Studio
- Inline editing of Owners
- UI enhancements
Learn more about the plugin and its features in the Plugin for Visual Studio Installation & User Guide.
AppSDK 2.0rc3 now available
CA Agile Central has released a new version of App SDK. AppSDK 2.0rc3 includes enhanced documentation, better examples, upgraded support libraries, and improved tooling.
- Fuller-featured boards and grids
- A preview of the new hierarchical grid
- Performance & bug fixes
- Improved styling & UI consistency
- Wider support of promises
- API Keys for embedded apps
- Full CORS support
- Multi-type Artifact Store
CA Agile Central Idea Manager: Single sign-on (SSO) now available for multisite users
Click here to learn more about setting up single sign-on for multisite.
Swimlanes now available on the Kanban Board and Iteration Tracking Board
Swimlanes are horizontal rows that can be applied to a board for a team to easily visualize work items by category or sub-process. Admins can choose custom fields to be used as swimlanes on the Kanban Board.
To add a swimlane:
- Click the Actions gear menu in the top right of the board and select Settings.
- Select the Swimlanes checkbox.
- Select the type of swimlane you want to set up from the dropdown menu.
- Click Save at the bottom of the settings pane to save changes and create your swimlane.
The most common usage is to add an Expedite swimlane. You can use this swimlane to visualize a single work item that is allowed to violate work in progress (WIP) limits. This work item receives priority treatment over other work items in a column.
Filter and Show on Cards on the Kanban Board
You can now filter and select fields to display on cards directly on the Kanban Board as opposed to accessing the Settings menu. Both options are located next to the Add New button on the board.
CA Agile Central’s beta programs get you involved with improving effectiveness and usability of new features before they are released. If you would like to participate, please send an email to email@example.com.
Changes to the SOAP, REST, & JSON Web Service API
Web Services API deprecation policy
In order to support developer toolkits, custom apps, and queries more effectively, we are introducing a formal deprecation policy to the Web Services API. With the new policy, we will make commercially reasonable efforts to support older versions of the WSAPI for one year after a new version is released.
The following WSAPI versions will no longer be supported by the date indicated in parentheses: 1.42 (May 8, 2014); 1.43 (June 20, 2014).
The current version of the WSAPI, 2.0, is fully supported. Its one year deprecation period will begin on the date that the next version is released. You may review the full deprecation policy in the CA Agile Central Web Services API documentation.
Hardware and software requirements
We at CA Agile Central are committed to making our software easily accessible. You can access CA Agile Central wherever you have an Internet connection via a PC, Linux, or Macintosh computer. Because this software is available through the World Wide Web, many of the constraints regarding which computer and software you use to access this material have been removed.
Nevertheless, it is not possible or practical for us to support every operating system and browser combination that is available. To take advantage of the newest CA Agile Central features, we recommend that you use one of the following fully supported browsers:
- Internet Explorer*
We support the two latest versions of each of these browsers. We do not recommend using development, test, or beta versions of these web browsers. Versions that are not publicly released may not work properly with the CA Agile Central application. In particular we strongly suggest using Chrome.
* Internet Explorer Currently, we support Internet Explorer 11, Internet Explorer 10, and Internet Explorer 9. CA Agile Central does not support Internet Explorer 6, 7, or 8.
- Minimum Adobe Reader 5.0 Microsoft Windows platforms (not Linux)
- Adobe Reader 7.0 or higher recommended
- Minimum 1024 X 768 X 256-color video resolution, 1280 x 1024 recommended.
Defects fixed in Q3
The following defects were resolved and patched during the first quarter of 2014:
- DE20561 - Inline edits on some pages are not displayed
- DE20709 - Iteration is automatically selected on old user story detail page
- DE21489 - Creating a new user story with an iteration of Unscheduled on the Release Summary displays error message
- DE21966 - Error when uploading a large batch of user stories or tasks on the backlog or user stories pages
- DE21954 - Incorrect validation error message when attempting to enter negative values via WSAPI
- DE22110 - Kanban Board filter by tags broken due to change in Web Services API
- DE22215 - Copying a test set with more than 25 test cases fails from Iteration Status beta page
- DE22236 - Incorrect error message when attempting to post to a closed project via WSAPI
- DE22239 - Some users unable to drag cards into empty Kanban Board columns
- DE22276 - Some non-SSO users having to log in twice to CA Agile Central
- DE22296 - Unable to query wsjfScore field in custom grids
- DE22487 - Unable to login to CA Agile Central using Internet Explorer 8
- DE22622 - Custom views on User Stories page defaulting conditions to <no entry> for some users
- DE22683 - Some users with viewer and editor permissions unable to use project picker
- DE22690 - Some users see a blank screen when accessing Iteration Status beta page
- DE22709 - Uploaded .png files displaying inverted colors on profile images
- DE22753 - Stats banner on Iteration Status beta page displays incorrect end date
- DE22785 - Rank field not working in Custom Grid app
Known issues in Q3
Multiple notification emails for single changes
Some users receive several email notifications for a single change they have made to a defect.
Formatting options are disabled when editing artifacts in Internet Explorer 10 and 11
When editing a user story or defect via the pop-up editor, formatting options are greyed out and disabled.
Not all work items may be recovered from the Recycle Bin
Only user stories, portfolio items, defects, test cases, and tasks are recoverable from the Recycle Bin.
Dragging test sets into the backlog on the Plan page
Dragging a test set from an iteration into the backlog on the Plan page will appear to make the test set disappear. The test set is still in CA Agile Central, but it has become unscheduled. To view the test set, go to the Iteration Status page and choose an iteration drop-down value of Unscheduled.
Popup blockers and CA Agile Central
Be aware that some of CA Agile Central’s content is displayed using popup windows. Popup blockers may inhibit this functionality. To correct this, configure your popup blockers to allow CA Agile Central popups.
Salesforce.com Integration: Create defect function does not instantly respond
The create defect function found in Salesforce does not immediately provide feedback from the associated CA Agile Central subscription. This may result in the inadvertent creation of multiple defects. Click the button only once to avoid this issue.
Pasting formatted text from MS Word may result in error
Copy-pasting rich-format text into a work item editor from Microsoft Word may result in formatting or system errors. To work around this issue, compose directly in the CA Agile Central work item editors, or convert your entry to plain text before pasting.
The CA Agile Central Success Community is your one-stop shop for self-service and support. Find answers, collaborate with others, and submit cases with CA Agile Central Support at success.rallydev.com.