2014 Q1 Release Notes
These notes provide pertinent information regarding the additions to CA Agile Central On-Demand during the first quarter of 2014. Features and defect fixes continually released between February 1st and March 31, 2014 are included. Hardware and software requirements, compatibility, and known issues for the CA Agile Central Enterprise and Unlimited Editions during this time period are also provided.
What’s new in Q1
For CA Agile Central Enterprise and Unlimited customers:
Project Admin role
We've made it easier to manage large projects and teams by introducing the new Project Admin role. Subscription and workspace admins may designate one or more users to administer a project by choosing this role when setting project permissions.
Project Admins have the ability to:
CA Agile Central Insights [Beta] Product
- This first increment of CA Agile Central Insights is in Beta, available for all CA Agile Central customers to try.
- Like any Beta product, it is still in development and subject to change, so check back frequently for the latest features.
- You can gain access to the Beta, with detailed drill-down data for your teams, by completing our survey.
- Have additional feedback? Just click the link at the bottom of any CA Agile Central Insights page and your feedback will come straight to the CA Agile Central Insights team.
Beta version of the new Iteration Status page
CA Agile Central has released a Beta version of a new Iteration Status page. With the new page, you can:
- quickly view the most important information to keep track of your iteration
- view detailed iteration data as cards or as a grid
- easily view the parent-child relationship of artifacts in a hierarchical grid
- make rapid changes within a card or grid line without opening the detail page
- personalize which columns of data to display in the grid view
To use the new Iteration Tracking page, click Track -> Iteration Status and click Try New Version.
An introductory window will display with additional details regarding the new page. Click Try it Now.
You can submit any feedback on your experience with the new page by clicking Feedback at the top right corner of the page.
CA Agile Central Portfolio Manager: New portfolio item fields
- You can enter a Refined Estimate to reflect an updated estimate during capacity planning as more is known about the features being planned.
- The Weighted Shortest Job First (WSJF) Score is a prioritization method that many Program Managers and PMOs use to choose which features to schedule soonest. The WSJF score must be manually entered and calculated.
Portfolio Kanban Board story tray
You can now easily identify stories in a feature on the Portfolio Kanban Board. For boards at the feature level, you can view child stories on feature cards by clicking on the points icon at the bottom of the card. From the story tray, you can re-rank stories, edit, copy, delete, move, split, or add stories, defects, and tasks.
Simplified Chinese now available in CA Agile Central online help
We are pleased to announce that CA Agile Central online help is now available in Simplified Chinese. CA Agile Central strives to continually improve the way we help you and we are committed to providing the highest quality instructional content to our users. This new translated version of our content provides yet another piece to the solutions necessary to help rapidly transform your organization into one that is able to more quickly make decisions and deliver immediate impact to your customers. Enjoy!
Filter Kanban Board contents by an iteration or release
When the Kanban Board is added to a custom page filtered by an iteration or release, the app will only display cards based on the iteration or release selected in the drop-down at the top of the page.
Copy users and permissions when creating a child project
Subscription, workspace, and project admins may now choose to automatically copy users and their permissions from a parent project when creating a child project.
To create a new child project and copy users:
- Click the Setup icon in the menu bar of CA Agile Central.
- Select the Workspaces & Projects summary page.
- To the right of the project you want to designate as the parent, select the Create Child Project for... icon. An editor window displays.
- Enter details to define your new child project.
- Select the Copy Users check box.
- Select Save & Close.
- The user permissions settings that exist in the parent project will be copied into the new project. This process runs in the background, and may take some time to complete.
Default project permissions for new users
Subscription and workspace admins may set a default permission for all projects in a workspace. The selected default will display in the user editor window when creating a new user.
New Web Services API query for collections
Previously it was not possible to write a query to get all stories with defects or all defects without any tags. CA Agile Central has enhanced Web Services API queries, allowing you to query on a collection whether or not is empty.
User stories without defects
(Defects.ObjectID = null)
User stories with defects
(Defects.ObjectID != null)
Defects without tags
(Tags.ObjectID = null)
Defects that have tags
(Tags.ObjectID != null)
CA Agile Central’s beta programs get you involved with improving effectiveness and usability of new features before they are released. If you would like to participate, please send an email to email@example.com.
Changes to the SOAP, REST, & JSON Web Service API
Web Services API deprecation policy
In order to support developer toolkits, custom apps, and queries more effectively, we are introducing a formal deprecation policy to the Web Services API. With the new policy, we will make commercially reasonable efforts to support older versions of the WSAPI for one year after a new version is released.
The following WSAPI versions will no longer be supported by the date indicated in parentheses: 1.42 (May 8, 2014); 1.43 (June 20, 2014).
The current version of the WSAPI, 2.0, is fully supported. Its one year deprecation period will begin on the date that the next version is released. You may review the full deprecation policy in the CA Agile Central Web Services API documentation.
Hardware and software requirements
We at CA Agile Central are committed to making our software easily accessible. You can access CA Agile Central wherever you have an Internet connection via a PC, Linux, or Macintosh computer. Because this software is available through the World Wide Web, many of the constraints regarding which computer and software you use to access this material have been removed.
Nevertheless, it is not possible or practical for us to support every operating system and browser combination that is available. To take advantage of the newest CA Agile Central features, we recommend that you use one of the following fully supported browsers:
- Internet Explorer*
We support the two latest versions of each of these browsers. We do not recommend using development, test, or beta versions of these web browsers. Versions that are not publicly released may not work properly with the CA Agile Central application. In particular we strongly suggest using Chrome.
* Internet Explorer Currently, we support Internet Explorer 11, Internet Explorer 10, and Internet Explorer 9. CA Agile Central does not support Internet Explorer 6, 7, or 8.
- Minimum Adobe Reader 5.0 Microsoft Windows platforms (not Linux)
- Adobe Reader 7.0 or higher recommended
- Minimum 1024 X 768 X 256-color video resolution, 1280 x 1024 recommended.
Defects fixed in Q1
The following defects were resolved and patched during the first quarter of 2014:
- DE18046 - Some users unable to re-rank child stories on a User Stories custom view
- DE18659 - Changes are not applied when multi-editing the Schedule State field on the Quality -> Defects page
- DE19420 - Shared Kanban board does not display for some users
- DE20037 - Users demoted to 'No-Access' disappear from Setup->Users for subscriptions containing only one workspace
- DE20127 - Release and Iteration specific apps don't load properly on a custom page filtered by release or iteration
- DE20199 - In a custom view, adding more than one project condition causes all project dropdowns to refresh
- DE20336 - Internet Explorer 8 throws error when trying to add tasks or discussions to stories or defects
- DE20430 - Unable to filter by owner on the Kanban Board
Known issues in Q1
Multiple notification emails for single changes
Some users receive several email notifications for a single change they have made to a defect.
Formatting options are disabled when editing artifacts in Internet Explorer 10 and 11
When editing a user story or defect via the pop-up editor, formatting options are greyed out and disabled.
Not all work items may be recovered from the Recycle Bin
Only user stories, portfolio items, defects, test cases, and tasks are recoverable from the Recycle Bin.
Dragging test sets into the backlog on the Plan page
Dragging a test set from an iteration into the backlog on the Plan page will appear to make the test set disappear. The test set is still in CA Agile Central, but it has become unscheduled. To view the test set, go to the Iteration Status page and choose an iteration drop-down value of Unscheduled.
Popup blockers and CA Agile Central
Be aware that some of CA Agile Central’s content is displayed using popup windows. Popup blockers may inhibit this functionality. To correct this, configure your popup blockers to allow CA Agile Central popups.
Salesforce.com Integration: Create defect function does not instantly respond
The create defect function found in Salesforce does not immediately provide feedback from the associated CA Agile Central subscription. This may result in the inadvertent creation of multiple defects. Click the button only once to avoid this issue.
Pasting formatted text from MS Word may result in error
Copy-pasting rich-format text into a work item editor from Microsoft Word may result in formatting or system errors. To work around this issue, compose directly in the CA Agile Central work item editors, or convert your entry to plain text before pasting.
To contact CA Agile Central Support, click the Contact Support link in the lower-left corner of CA Agile Central.