2012 Q1 Release Notes
These notes provide pertinent information regarding the additions to CA Agile Central On-Demand during the first quarter of 2012. Features and defect fixes continually released between March 10th and May 26th, 2012 are included. Hardware and software requirements, compatibility, and known issues for the CA Agile Central Community, Enterprise, and Unlimited Editions during this time period are also provided.
What’s new in Q1
For CA Agile Central Unlimited customers:
CA Agile Central Unlimited Edition includes everything in CA Agile Central Enterprise Edition, plus:
- Portfolio management (CA Agile Central Portfolio Manager)
- Authentication and security management (CA Agile Central Advanced Security and Administration)
- Idea management (CA Agile Central Idea Manager)
- Quality management (CA Agile Central Quality Manager)
- Time tracking (CA Agile Central Time Tracker)
- Enterprise integrations with HP Quality Center, IBM ClearQuest, Microsoft Team Foundation Server, and Salesforce.com (CA Agile Central Support Manager)
- Development sandbox for testing apps and integrations on a copy of your production data
CA Agile Central Portfolio Manager: Portfolio states
You may track the state of your portfolio items in their idea-to-delivery lifecycle using the new State field.
If you use the new Portfolio Kanban Board, the State field values are displayed as columns on the board.
CA Agile Central Portfolio Manager: Portfolio Kanban Board
You may display your portfolio idea-to-delivery value streams on a Kanban board. The Kanban board is available as an app, so you may add it to your Dashboard page underneath the My Home tab, or install it on a custom page.
You can re-rank portfolio items and change the state of portfolio items by simply dragging-and-dropping items on the board. During the quarter, the app was updated with several enhancements:
- Exit policies
- Age data on cards
- WIP (work-in-progress) limits and indicators for each column
- Manual ranking workspace setting is respected
CA Agile Central Portfolio Manager: Portfolio Timeline zoom
A zoom function is available on the Portfolio Timeline page and app. You may set the level of zoom by dragging the slider or by selecting the - or + icons in the upper-right corner of the page. Three levels are available:
- Months and weeks
- Years and months
- Years and quarters
The zoom state that was last selected will be remembered even when navigating to other pages in CA Agile Central. The state will be remembered for each portfolio item type.
CA Agile Central Idea Manager: New Dashboard page
All CA Agile Central Idea Manager sites have automatically been upgraded with a new, faster Dashboard page. Features include:
- Activity metrics that can be customized with several options
- Status & category distribution charts
- Fastest risers report
- Average days per status
- New pie, bar, and funnel chart displays
- Hidden ideas removed from statistics and reports
Additionally, the new Dashboard can be enabled for end users by administrators. All sites have this setting disabled by default. To enable the Dashboard page for all users, access the Setup > Site > Components page and select the Dashboard for End Users check box.
CA Agile Central Idea Manager: Report date filters
Administrators of CA Agile Central Idea Manager sites may access reports filtered by a given date range. The date filter option is available from the Setup area of a site. The following reports may be filtered by date:
- User Activity
- Idea Status Change History
- Idea Interest by Company
CA Agile Central Portfolio Manager: Portfolio item ID on Portfolio Timeline
The FormattedID field of portfolio items is now displayed on the Portfolio Timeline page and app. You may click the highlighted link to navigate to the item's detail page. The FormattedID links have been positioned on the far left side of the Portfolio Timeline, underneath the Name column.
For CA Agile Central Community, Enterprise and Unlimited customers:
A copy command has been added to summary and detail pages that contain tasks. When you copy a task, an editor window will display, with (Copy of) added to the Name field. There are multiple pages in CA Agile Central that you may copy a task from.
From a task detail page, select the Copy command from the Actions drop-down menu.
From any of the following summary pages, select the copy icon on the right side of a task row:
- Track > Iteration Status page
- Track > Release Status page
- Track > Team Status page
- Track > Tasks page
- User story, defect, and defect suite detail pages: select the Task link from the sidebar
New custom page features
We've made it easier to add and share the apps you use in CA Agile Central. The process of creating a new custom page has been streamlined, and all custom pages can now accept multiple apps, layouts, and settings. You can create multiple custom pages, make copies, and share sets of apps with other users in your workspace. Features include:
- Install one or multiple apps on a page
- Change the layout and display of apps
- Filter compatible apps by a given iteration or release
- Share custom pages with other users in your workspace
- Make copies of shared or personal custom pages
Click here to read more about the changes to new and existing custom pages.
Improved story splitting interface
- Choose which associated tasks, defects, and test cases are moved to the new user story
- Edit user story names, iteration assignments, schedule states, and estimates
- Discussions and attachments are automatically copied to the new user story
- A parent user story is automatically created to relate both the old and new user stories
Consolidated App Catalog
The new App Catalog combines all of the available apps found on the My Home > Dashboard page with the existing catalog, giving you access to over 90 different ways to examine and work with your data. To access the catalog, select Add App from the Customize Page drop-down menu at the top of custom pages and your dashboard.
Getting Started custom dashboard
New users added to your CA Agile Central subscription will be directed to a custom dashboard presentation that explains the key features found in the application, as well as links to other introductory resources. This dashboard will appear automatically after choosing a role. This page will remain as the default landing page each time the user logs into CA Agile Central, until the check box directly below the panel is unchecked. Click here to see the new collection of getting started content, linked to at the end of the dashboard presentation.
Increased horizontal space on custom pages
Apps installed on a custom page have been aligned with the far left and right boundaries, providing more horizontal space to view data. This especially improves the display of custom pages with a single column layout.
View Custom HTML app source code
Need to quickly copy or edit a custom app built by yourself or a colleague? We've made it easier to obtain the source code from the Custom HTML app. Click the gear menu icon at top of the app title bar, and select the View Source option.
A window will display. Click the Select All icon to highlight the app code, then copy-paste into a new Custom HTML app or editor to make your changes.
Updated browser support policy
Support for Internet Explorer 6 has been officially deprecated for use with the CA Agile Central application. Full support is still available for IE9 and IE8, and limited support is offered for IE7. We will continue our policy of supporting the two most recent production versions of Chrome, Firefox, and Safari browsers. Click here to see the complete policy.
CA Agile Central’s beta programs get you involved with improving effectiveness and usability of new features before they are released. If you would like to participate, please send email to email@example.com.
Changes to the SOAP, REST, & JSON Web Service API
The Web Services API has been revised to version number 1.32. Click the Web Services API link from the main Help page to view your Web Services documentation.
Click the API Versioning link under Topics in the left navigation of the Web Services API documentation for details about version changes.
Hardware and software requirements
We at CA Agile Central are committed to making our software easily accessible. You can access CA Agile Central wherever you have an Internet connection via a PC, Linux, or Macintosh computer. Because this software is available through the World Wide Web, many of the constraints regarding which computer and software you use to access this material have been removed.
Nevertheless, it is not possible or practical for us to support every operating system and browser combination that is available. To take advantage of the newest CA Agile Central features, we recommend that you use one of the following fully supported browsers:
- Internet Explorer*
We support the two latest versions of each of these browsers. We do not recommend using development, test, or beta versions of these web browsers. Versions that are not publicly released may not work properly with the CA Agile Central application. In particular we strongly suggest using Chrome.
* Internet Explorer Currently, we support Internet Explorer 9, Internet Explorer 8, and provide limited support for Internet Explorer 7.
- Minimum Adobe Reader 5.0 Microsoft Windows platforms (not Linux)
- Adobe Reader 7.0 or higher recommended
- Minimum 1024 X 768 X 256-color video resolution, 1280 x 1024 recommended.
Defect fixes in Q1
The following defects were resolved and patched during the first quarter of 2012:
- DE9975 - Drag-and-drop movement does not work on Plan>Plan page with no active releases or iterations
- DE10891 - Some administrators see duplicate field names when creating custom fields for task objects
- DE12138 - Excel Add-In displays an error when querying users
- DE12328 - Incorrect error message displays on some Kanban Board apps when attempting re-rank
- DE12618 - Unable to attach files to test case results using Web Services API
- DE12851 - Some users unable to delete a release
- DE12918 - Some users see inconsistencies with Defect Trend chart when filtered by a release
- DE13007 - Tags are not deleted after confirmation message appears
- DE13048 - Some users unable to send custom report to pdf or email
- DE13061 - Kanban exit policy not saved when "No Entry" column is active
- DE13108 - My Notifications panel not displaying any results
- DE13114 - Timesheet page not removing tasks
- DE13121 - Timesheet page not clearing out deleted hours
- DE13124 - Some users unable to link to Iteration Burndown chart
- DE13126 - SOAP updates generate ignored xml element warnings for read-only fields
- DE13192 - SSO users without access to any projects are continually logged out with no error message
- DE13197 - Deleting a tag removes other tags from work items
- DE13202 - Scheduling a new story into an iteration is adding a release by default
- DE13229 - Release Dashboard panel showing incorrect count of days
- DE13333 - Trial and Community Edition subscriptions display invalid expiration message at top of page
- DE13237 - Super Customizable Release Chart not aggregating data properly for some users
- DE13261 - HTTP 500 response when performing a fetch operation on attachment fields with REST
- DE13264 - When deleting a copied custom view, an error screen displays
- DE13266 - After renaming a custom field, data does not display on the Backlog page
- DE13273 - Trial subscriptions are missing countdown clock to expiration
- DE13276 - Story splitting editor window hangs if plan estimate field is set as blank
- DE13281 - CA Agile Central Product Manager (depreciated product) is incorrectly removed from a subscription after edits
- DE13315 - Default custom views result in error screens on Plan > User Stories page
- DE13319 - CA Agile Central Idea Manager: Turning off email notifications in profile prevents user from receiving pw reset email
- DE13448 - Iteration and Release Scope Change apps are not detecting items added to iterations and releases
- DE13459 - SSO users on the SSO with Exceptions list cannot set their CA Agile Central password
- DE13463 - Some users are receiving invalid password expiration notices when SSO is enabled
- DE13513 - Kanban Board app displays items from child projects despite scoping settings
- DE13593 - Community Edition users are not seeing the full Catalog App list
- DE13636 - In-Progress date value is being set incorrectly after a user story is accepted
Known issues in Q1
Not all work items may be recovered from the Recycle Bin
Only user stories, portfolio items, defects, test cases, and tasks are recoverable from the Recycle Bin.
Dragging test sets into the backlog on the Plan page
Dragging a test set from an iteration into the backlog on the Plan page will appear to make the test set disappear. The test set is still in CA Agile Central, but it has become unscheduled. To view the test set, go to the Iteration Status page and choose an iteration drop-down value of Unscheduled.
Popup blockers and CA Agile Central
Be aware that some of CA Agile Central’s content is displayed using popup windows. Popup blockers may inhibit this functionality. To correct this, configure your popup blockers to allow CA Agile Central popups.
Notifications using the conditions "owner changed-to/from" will not send against new CA Agile Central work items
If you create a notification rule with ownership changed conditions, and then change the ownership on a CA Agile Central work item that has never had an owner, a notification will not be sent.
User story list view displays incorrect summaries when parent stories are shown
Users who have both parent and child stories visible in the List (flat) view on the User Stories page will see summaries at the top of the list that combine parent and child estimates. We are considering fixing this by only showing child stories in this view, and would appreciate your feedback.
Iteration Defect Status printed report shows incorrect totals
The default settings for “Print Report” on Iteration Defect Status work correctly. However, if you deselect “show nested items” the report will indicate that all stories have “no defects”, even if some do. To work around this, make sure you keep “show nested items” checked when printing this report.
Custom Timesheet Reports will display "No Entry" where a custom field should be if CA Agile Central artifact is deleted
If you run a Custom Timesheet Report that includes deleted data, the output will include "No Entry" instead of a custom field name for any deleted work items.
Salesforce.com Integration: Create defect function does not instantly respond
The create defect function found in Salesforce does not immediately provide feedback from the associated CA Agile Central subscription. This may result in the inadvertent creation of multiple defects. Click the button only once to avoid this issue.
Pasting formatted text from MS Word may result in error
Copy-pasting rich-format text into a work item editor from Microsoft Word may result in formatting or system errors. To work around this issue, compose directly in the CA Agile Central work item editors, or convert your entry to plain text before pasting.
To contact CA Agile Central Support, click the Contact Support link in the lower-left corner of CA Agile Central.